You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placed Document (Overlay) Erase Brush Tool No Longer Works to "Mask" Background Image

I am a novice.  

I have been using the File, Place tool to place fairy wing overlay document png type (invisible background layer) files over background images, and then using the erase brush tool to clean up (erase the overlay) from the face and chest area.  Its worked beautifully for days, but today it does not work for me, and I can't figure out why its changed?  I did notice the assistant started coming on, with notes about rasterising the layer, but I selected to undo the action, and the assistant is disabled.  I thought this would stop my issue.  I think I want to be able to erase from a vector layer freely....  

So, my process has been to open my picture, place my png overlay, and erase any "interference" over the subject's face...   in PS I learned only briefly to use the paint brush tool to paint the overly in black over the overlay to "reveal" the area underneath, but that technique is not working either....

Thanks,

OnTheWander

• Staff

Hi OntheWander,

Welcome to the Forums :)

Please could you try right clicking the layer that you want to erase parts from and click rasterise to see if that allows you to erase parts again? If you undid the assistant rasterising your layer then you won't be able to erase parts of it. I hope this helps :)

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I had the assistant off, and started the photo again, and the layer image would still not erase....  I enabled the Assistant, marked the setting for "Erasing from vector layers: Place Mask Layer Inside and Erase" and it allowed me to erase a portion, and stalled...  when I moved on to my next layer, and started to erase, the assistant popped up and notified it had rasterized the layer (even though the setting was still not to do that), and even though I "undid" that action, I still can't erase, and even though I disable the assistant, I still can't erase.

It seems to be a "confused" glitch .....  its fighting itself.

• Staff

Hi OntheWander,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The placed document (image) must be rasterised in order for you to be able to delete it.

When you place an image in you document, it is considered an image "object" layer - same for text or shapes/paths - they are all object layers types. If you look at the Layers panel you can see it's identified as (Image). You can only perform raster operations (like erasing parts of the image, painting over it, anything that changes its pixels directly basically) on pixel layers. Pixel layers are generic pixel containers where you can actually change/perform raster operations, that is change its pixels. So you have to let the Assistant rasterise it so you can edit its pixels, otherwise it will not work.

The Assistant setting Erasing from vector layers only applies to vector objects, not to placed images/raster data.