You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wrong Color/Values

Hello,
Colors appear different than expected/shown in other apps (including ones with color management).
to illustrate this, i opened a website with a palette that shows the expected HEX values and used a color picker to confirm:
vivaldi_Gt4uNZlwWm.jpg.a52c26cc517c60ccd393433334d2d2ec.jpg

pasting giving code to a field within Designer (also Photo) results in a visually different color, again confirmed with a color picker:
Designer_OH2RszO0wM.jpg.6c3aa55dac056322dc601327ccab37f7.jpg

the deviation is more noticeable with darker colors.
i use the standard sRGB color profile as shown in this image:
Designer_xnaji5XOpx.jpg.473d276f86e5401c5ba319df94c6765c.jpg

my display only covers the sRGB space and is calibrated towards that using DispalyCal (80 nits, D6500, 2.2 Gamma)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

If you don't see any difference between the browser and our app using the tagged image, then it's all working fine :) Looks like your image viewer does not colour manage though, so I suggest you use something that works correctly. :) 

i do see the same difference as stated initially of course -- the values are slightly different.
the test image only verified that color management is working (no purple tint) with the programs that matter (the image viewer i mentioned was just to see the tint and does not matter).

so the issue is not resolved!

please note if there is anything confusing about the problem that i should elaborate on.

also, the goal with working in SRGB for me is to land on the exact same color as apps that don't color manage as well, because the target apps that is designed for usually does not.

i can't do a screen recording right now, but i followed the exact steps and made screenshots:

this is the overview, a rectangle with the color value on the right in Designer and beside on the left is the snipping screenshot from the clipboard. website in the background and leftmost the snipping tool.
Designer_fHfXim6UcS.thumb.jpg.5cda8d4dce2a44fd756b9cebc09344a6.jpg

here are eyedropper values directly from the build-in Designer tool.
Designer_nyPH9XloNr.jpg.561b4e5cac136e458a22c30b6fd33985.jpgDesigner_FHacy43xwj.jpg.da229ec66845a50dd86af2f764c8c834.jpg

Designer_crkeNZnqZu.jpg.1cc81c9f7baccf3e3dfefee36bb70791.jpg

as you can see, it shows the wrong value outside of the application on the website color field and shows the right value on the clipboard file within Designer (but that field is visually wrong).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, lb Cake said:

I can paste the exact same code in two separate documents and get two different colors.

What color format (RGB, CMYK) and color profile do the two documents have?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

What color format (RGB, CMYK) and color profile do the two documents have?

Howdy Will, 

At the time of the video the color profile for both documents was RGB Hex. I've since switched over to plain old RGB. I noticed when I tried to manually enter the RGB values that values above 100 are changed into  alphanumeric characters (1F, 7C, etc.) it seems that this transition is where the alteration in appearance is coming from. In RGB mode the color values go through the expected 0-255 range and the colors displayed are much more consistent with the source material. It's a tad bit more work but it appears entering in the RGB values in the RGB profile is a reasonable workaround.

Update: I can confirm that entering CMYK values directly allows for the correct display of colors.

Edited by lb Cake
Updated with additional information.