Sign in to follow this  
apbutle

Fuji XE1 XTrans processing troubles

I am a relatively new user to Affinity Photo and have been watching the tutorial videos, as well as playing with photos in the editor.  I shoot with a Fujifilm XE1 and hoped to do all of my processing in Affinity. I have a few issues and questions regarding my processing. 

1) It takes a long time to do some things in the develop persona, and sometimes the program hangs or crashes while I'm trying to develop my RAW files.  I have not had this issue with other programs such as Photoshop and RAWTherapee.   If I am editing JPEG files I usually do not have issues.  Just with the Fuji RAW files. I am running with 8GB of ram, a SSD, and a 2.8Ghz dual core processor. I don't believe I'm running out of system resources.

2) I cannot set an input color profile, it's just a grayed out box. I was able to set them in the beta when I had it, unfortunately I can't seem to set that now.  I'm hoping it's just using the Camera profile, which is set to Adobe RGB.  Is this normal?

3) When I export a file through the export persona, no matter 1x 2x or 3x, it looks soft and blurry, almost like I had no processing on the file whatsoever when it exported. Very soft and blurry.  What I look at in the Affinity Photo window after I have done my processing looks fantastic, sharper and more vivid than I've ever gotten from another editor.  I just want it to export that way.  I've tried exporting to JPEG and TIFF in 8 and 16 bit with no luck.  Why might this be happening? Am I doing something wrong?

4) Is there a way I can set an aspect ratio when doing slices/exporting?  I would like to export some images for my desktop background that are an exact fit either with a border/mat or without.   Maybe I am misunderstanding the Slice/Crop uses here.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank You. 

I have been trying to get away from Adobe products and their subscription model, but AP's raw editor seems to be just an afterthought.

My 2013 i5 8gb iMac locked up, for the first time ever, when trying to import just 54 RAFs.

You will see on this forum people having raw problems with all cameras.

I do hope the next update includes a modern usable raw editor, for the moment I still use the free DarkTable.

hi apbutle

What sort of actions are you performing when you are getting the slow down/crashes?

With the export is it particular format/settings you are using?

We are aware of the camera profile dropdown. This is something that was initially implemented, but we removed it as the devs were unhappy with it before release. These profiles should be coming back in a future version though.

Unfortunately there is no way to lock the slices to an aspect ratio when drawing them, although this is a good idea. However if you know the dimensions you want to can type them in using the transform tab to get an exact size

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hey Chris_K.

Thanks for the info on the slices and profiles, it makes sense.  Glad to see the devs care about the functions and are willing to pull them if they aren't up to snuff.

And answers to your questions:

What sort of actions are you performing when you are getting the slow down/crashes?

Slow downs seem to happen when I'm scrolling in and out on an image, as well as when I use the gradient feature to emulate a variable ND filter. They happen when I do some of the noise reduction and detail refinement, but those are understandably cpu intensive features.  

The program will usually crash on hitting develop. It seems to happen more often if I do a lot of processing in the develop persona.  (usually a lot for me in that persona is: exposure, enhance, noise reduction, lens correction, detail refinement and at most an additional gradient and some drawn mask for exposure). 

With the export is it particular format/settings you are using?

I've tried various settings, JPEG and TIFF are most useful for my applications, so those are the two I usually use.  I've tried all file formats, pixel formats, and, resamplers, and all of these settings when exported into JPEG and TIFF through the 1x 2x and 3x buttons in the develop persona look soft. Very large file sizes, but very soft. 

I was playing around today and used the export option under the File>Export options.  This DID give me the image I was looking for.  So I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the develop persona or if those buttons in it aren't working properly. 

Thank you for the quick reply. 

Hi apbutle

I am getting the slow down as I pile on the adjustments but no crashes so far, I shall log this slow down though

The only thing I'm noticing fro the export persona is some slight aliasing due to jpeg compression. If you are looking to mainly export the full image I would stick with using the export for the file menu. The export persona is more suited to things such as web graphics where you want to take slices of an image. The 2x and 3x is more suited to vector objects as well rather than raster layers which is why you may see a yellow warning triangle when you select these options on the slices tab

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Thank you!  I appreciate your responsiveness.  I value a company that cares about their people and their product.

The export persona 2x and 3x make a little more sense now.  I still think a way to define an aspect ratio, or specific size for slices, would be extremely useful for many people.  Essentially making it a "live crop" if you will.  For now I can just use the crop tool and File > Export.