You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Characteristic, maybe Request (context toolbar)

Hi
for those people that don't have a BIG screen or our visual capability isn't exceptional.... screen real estate is not so big;
when items doesn't have enough space in the contextual toolbar the exceeding are in a pop-up menu at the end of the bar under a double angle "»"
in this menu, as seen in the screen copy I send, the buttons exist, but most of them with no indication of what they mean.

I'm sure it's well done, as is the same procedure as in the toolbar, but .... could be interesting to have labels near the buttons?
probably helpful (or waiting a time to let the pop-up help label appear, 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Thnx
Emilio

SCRN.png

If you're only talkng about that overflow area, then it behaves consistently with the buttons on the main Context Toolbar:

• Neither one uses labels, only icons.
  • Both have Tooltip support, so that if you hover your mouse over the icon you get an explanation.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

it behaves consistently with the buttons on the main Context Toolbar:

• Neither one uses labels, only icons.
  • Both have Tooltip support, so that if you hover your mouse over the icon you get an explanation

Yes
I said this also.

4 hours ago, eluengo said:

is the same procedure as in the toolbar, but .... could be interesting to have labels near the buttons?
probably helpful (or waiting a time to let the pop-up help label appear, 🤷🏻‍♂️)

I only asked if adding those labels could be a good idea.... sic: Title

In modern informatics, the GUI/Ergonomics is the key

Thnx Walt

But I don't understand why you're just asking for labels on the overflow buttons. Why are they needed more for those buttons than for the ones on the main part of the Context Toolbar?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 11:44 AM, eluengo said:

Sorry, but ergonomics and graphic user interface is the key

I don't follow this either.

Why should the overflow area get the labels and the main context toolbar not get them?

In order to see the labels on items that your window is ordinarily wide enough to display, you would need to make the window uselessly narrow in order to force those items into the overflow area.

It probably isn't possible to make the window narrow enough to force the leftmost items on the context toolbar into the overflow which means their labels would never be visible.

How is any of that behavior any more "ergonomic" or "graphic" than what it is doing now, which matches the behavior of the overflow area to the toolbar itself?

Sorry a second time, but ergonomics and GUI is the key, not the discipline to a common behavior.
The GUI should serve to better and speedier use and understanding of the relation of the app with the user.
We all love the three apps, but this don't necessarily makes to be 'always' satisfied with 'all' their characteristics.
This forums are not only interesting to discuss and solve problems, are also a pool of ideas and details that could be, eventually, important to designers of successive version of the apps.