You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Equal border size around picture

Hi,

When I process my image and crop it using the A3 preset crop size I then open a new document at A3 300dpi I then copy and paste my image on to the new document. I add a fill layer under the background image in white I then use the corner blue dot to resize the image giving me a white border around it but when I resize obviously it's not giving me an equal border I guess because of the aspect ratio, is there any way to get an equal width border top and sides ? I know it will slightly alter the aspect ration of the image but not too much to notice. Hope that makes sense 😬

45 minutes ago, SAW said:

When I process my image and crop it using the A3 preset crop size I then open a new document at A3 300dpi I then copy and paste my image on to the new document.

When you paste or place an image which is larger than the document it’s automatically clipped to the canvas, so if you’re creating a new A3 document there’s no need to crop the image first.

50 minutes ago, SAW said:

I then use the corner blue dot to resize the image giving me a white border around it but when I resize obviously it's not giving me an equal border I guess because of the aspect ratio

If you want the aspect ratio to be disregarded, hold down the Shift key when resizing. Alternatively, resize the image with a side handle instead of a corner handle.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

In addition to the advice above, I’m not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve but, from how I understand it currently, you might be able to use a different workflow.
* Create a new A3 document;
* Draw a Rectangle which fills the document canvas;
* Set the fill of the rectangle to None;
* Set the Stroke Width of the rectangle to the border size you need;
* Set the Stoke to be “Align Stroke to Inside”;
* Set the Stoke to be the colour you want the border to be;
* Place the image into the document;
* Put the image layer behind the rectangle;
* Resize the image layer as necessary (you can keep the original aspect ratio).
See attached image to see how the layers are organised and how the image can be larger than the canvas.

Screenshot 2020-12-25 122641.png

After adding your fill layer at the bottom of the stack

Add a triangle above it which has the same width as its height

(Shown in blue below just so you can see it but same colour of the background is fine.)

Now grab the top-left handle of your image layer and whilst holding the ctrl key down, drag diagonally along the long edge of the triangle (Also known as the hypotenuse for those that remember their school days).

Assuming you have the correct snapping options set, the left-hand handle will snap to the hypotenuse. Wherever it snaps you will have equal space all around your image

If you do this a lot you can save the triangle to your Assets and just drag it onto your document whenever you need it

For portrait orientated images it's the same procedure except a different position for the triangle and you drag a different handle

triangle.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

44 minutes ago, carl123 said:

the long edge of the triangle (Also known as the hypotenuse for those that remember their school days)

Or rather, for those who don’t remember that from their school days. Those who do remember won’t need a reminder. ;)

46 minutes ago, carl123 said:

a triangle above it which has the same width as its height

Also known as an isosceles triangle. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

After adding your fill layer at the bottom of the stack

Add a triangle above it which has the same width as its height

(Shown in blue below just so you can see it but same colour of the background is fine.)

Now grab the top-left handle of your image layer and whilst holding the ctrl key down, drag diagonally along the long edge of the triangle (Also known as the hypotenuse for those that remember their school days).

Assuming you have the correct snapping options set, the left-hand handle will snap to the hypotenuse. Wherever it snaps you will have equal space all around your image

If you do this a lot you can save the triangle to your Assets and just drag it onto your document whenever you need it

For portrait orientated images it's the same procedure except a different position for the triangle and you drag a different handle

triangle.png

How do I get that type of triangle, mine don't look like that 😞 

5 minutes 22 seconds

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

38 minutes ago, SAW said:

I don't have Affinity Designer.

Doesn't matter, the base shape tools are also equally available on Affinity Photo etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

In addition to the advice above, I’m not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve but, from how I understand it currently, you might be able to use a different workflow.
* Create a new A3 document;
* Draw a Rectangle which fills the document canvas;
* Set the fill of the rectangle to None;
* Set the Stroke Width of the rectangle to the border size you need;
* Set the Stoke to be “Align Stroke to Inside”;
* Set the Stoke to be the colour you want the border to be;
* Place the image into the document;
* Put the image layer behind the rectangle;
* Resize the image layer as necessary (you can keep the original aspect ratio).
See attached image to see how the layers are organised and how the image can be larger than the canvas.

Screenshot 2020-12-25 122641.png

I managed to do it this way you suggested.

Capture.JPG

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

Also known as an isosceles triangle. :)

<Pedant on> Isosceles Right triangle<Pedant off> 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.