You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

General Query

Is this program dead? Promises and prospects for too many of the features that I need have disappeared along along with the road map they were printed on.

If development of the program is dead, Serif should be straight with its customers and advise that those who need long-promised improvements ought to seek them elsewhere. 

I'd rather bite the bullet and learn how to do what is currently possible in Adobe than wait any longer for this pot to boil. 

8 minutes ago, jstnhllmn said:

Is this program dead?

If it were, there wouldn’t be any version 1.9 beta releases for us to test. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Development is not dead.

1.7 introduced new functions.

1.8 introduced new functions, which you can see listed here.

1.9 will introduce new functions, some of which you can see listed in the current beta announcement (here, as I write this).

Serif may not be implementing what you want, but they are implementing the functions they want to implement, on the schedule and in the order they want to implement them (which is the appropriate way to do it, in my opinion).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

37 minutes ago, JET_Affinity said:

Since this is the "General Query" thread:

Does anyone know when the extra batteries for my DeWalt chainsaw will be shipping?

Thanks in advance.

;-)

JET

Came here by mistake, I have forwarded them to you.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 12/24/2020 at 4:49 PM, walt.farrell said:

Development is not dead.

1.7 introduced new functions.

1.8 introduced new functions, which you can see listed here.

1.9 will introduce new functions, some of which you can see listed in the current beta announcement (here, as I write this).

Serif may not be implementing what you want, but they are implementing the functions they want to implement, on the schedule and in the order they want to implement them (which is the appropriate way to do it, in my opinion).

If you compare what Sketch added in the past 12 months with what Affinity Designer added in the past 12 months, the difference is kind of staggering. Sketch adds major features at the speed of a tech company, while AD adds minor features at the speed of a solo developer's side project.

The key difference is that Sketch has an annual upgrade program. I wish Serif would introduce something like this to fund Affinity suite development – can you imagine what they might have done over the past five years if they had a little more money? The 2015 roadmap would probably not only be complete by now, but we'd likely have new tools that Adobe doesn't have, rather than still wishing for features Adobe had 20 years ago.

Affinity Designer is like a skyscraper that topped out at 9 floors. It's a perfectly good 9-floor building, and I'm looking forward to them adding the 10th floor, but the groundwork was laid for so much more.