You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Pro & Apple Pencil as AD input device

• Staff

Hi vector,

We will be launching iOS versions of our software later. Please check the FAQ for more info.

MattP (one of the developers) already released a video from an earlier version/concept of Affinity Designer created during the development of the Mac versions.

Thanks for the link MEB.  Using fingers is great but, as a traditional illustrator, I'm really interested in the possibility of using the 'Apple Pencil' as a more precise, intuitive way of creating vector graphics.  Obviously, I don't expect Serif to have any answers at this early stage but this could be a really compelling alternative to Wacom's, and other, products.

As much as I like using Wacoms, they've always left me wanting.  Vanilla iPads with illustration apps don't cut the mustard.  An iPad Pro, Apple Pencil driving Affinity apps promises to be an indispensable artist's tool and as portable as a sketchbook.  Serif could steal a march on its rivals here.

B.T.W. Thanks for the flourishing Affinity suite - an amazing achievement and much appreciated.

Affinity on the Pro looks like it would be a lot better then on the 10" iPad. The screen is so small on that iPad that the side panels annoyingly keep closing whenever you start to draw. It is unfortunate that some of the iPhone features didn't make it over though. It seems like the way you can hold down on a button and get a drop down menu would be useful on the iPad Pro as well.

John Gruber on his blog posted a link to a review/comparison between the iPad Pro/Pencil vs. the Wacom Cintiq.

http://www.lindadong.com/blog//apple-pencil-vs-wacom-cintiq

For those who can afford to buy the iPad Pro/Pencil kit, there's definitely a goldmine for Affinity right there.   :)

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

• 1 month later...

Howdy MEB, I've done a little search for iOS info, I've checked the FAQ link you provided above too but other than running around in a circle I haven't found anything useful. I'm interested to know if any progress has been made to make Photo available for the iPad Pro and when?

Thanks

You can call me Cowboydoug, you can call me Doug, you can even call me Honey but don't call me Cowboy

• 3 weeks later...

P.S. I caught a brief glimpse of someone mentioning Wacom Cintque... Are the affinity products able to work with Cintque 's?

Super compatible and both work like a charm.

I'm currently using AP and AD with a Cintiq 27QHD and 13HD (on sale if anybody interested...).

If you want some tips to configure it just ask ;)

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers