You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photoshop compatability

This is going to be a bit of a rant, and I'm sorry, I'm trying to be polite about it.

Make it more like Photoshop. Like it or not, you're competing with PS and I and just about every artist is going to have to import and export PS files if working with others. Every time I hit something that doesn't come in 100% like Photoshop, like layers not working like PS or whatever, it makes me annoyed, and pushes me to abandon Photo just a little bit. An artist trying Photo for the first time is going to try bringing in their PSDs to see how compatible Photo is and they're not going to bother trying to fix layers not working because they work slightly differently in Photo, they're just not going to buy it. I don't have the time or the energy to keep trying to fix things, if I find a problem I report it, but "That's how it is designed to work" is not a good come back when I'm spending an hour trying to figure out why something basic isn't working as I expect.

The really annoying thing is Photoplus used to handle PSDs/Layers almost exactly like PS, and that's what I loved about it, so to see Photo go backwards in that regard is very disappointing. I used to recommend Photoplus to just about everyone I talked graphics to, but I don't feel I can do that with Photo just because I know they'd try it and inevitably hit the same caveats I'm hitting. I know they're trying to do something better, but we're in a reality where Photoshop is the dominant package, and I need to be able to work seamlessly with others.

4 hours ago, Dodgyb2001 said:

Make it more like Photoshop

Would that also include the price?

I believe Photoshop is currently £238 per year

I paid £29.99 for APhoto just over 4 years ago and not a penny since then.

If everyone had initially paid £238 per year, I'm sure Serif could have hired a lot more programmers and produced a Photoshop clone but it was never their intention to create a replica of Photoshop.

If you want something to work 100% like Photoshop then your only real option, at the moment, is to buy rent Photoshop.

4 hours ago, Dodgyb2001 said:

but we're in a reality where Photoshop is the dominant package, and I need to be able to work seamlessly with others.

Then pay the £238 per year and use Photoshop

What's the problem?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Sorry, I meant, handle PSDs and layers more like Photoshop, at least to the point they're directly compatible. 

I love Serif and I've been using their stuff since Photoplus 5? 6 at least, and I have a big dislike of Adobe, for various reasons, so I would prefer not to give them any more money. The reason I posted this was Photoplus used to handle layers and psds pretty much exactly like PS, and I could rely on it  to give me the same results. Photo, while it's got a lot of really sexy stuff, just isn't there as far as this area is concerned, though the font handling is better.  I still have PPlus 6 (and 8, but 8 is slightly flakier)  installed but I would really prefer to use Photo with all it's nice new additions.

There are other packages which I could use, Gimp, Krita, etc, but I really like what Serif have done, and don't really want to have to jump into something else that I'm less familiar with just to do this stuff which used to work so well in previous versions. Honestly, I would be happy to pay more for Photo, just for this. It's a no-brainer at the price it is.