You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,
I was designing a banner about 6m long. Is it normal if the exported file in jpg and pdf is larger than 100MB?
Because i've made a bigger banner design in PSD, but the exported file (jpg) size is only around 60MB.
It makes my desktop run very slow when exporting the file and difficult to send the file to others too.
Does everyone face the same thing or is it only me? or did I set up the document wrongly?

I'm using Windows 10, my design contains the most images, I set the document with DPI: 72.
Attached here the export setting that i used

Thank you.

export setting.JPG

Edited by nurfahiem

To get any feedback you need to state which Affinity App your are using and what operating system i.e. windows or mac. A screen grab of your export settings including the expanded more will lso help. Details of what your design contains the most of e.g. images, vectors, text etc  would help also

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

For image export, dpi is not important, the image size is based on the amount of pixels (in your case 17k by 10k).

Especially with JPG images, the amount and diversity of colours is an important factor — JPG tries to save space by adding colours together (simplified: instead of “1bluepixel, 1bluepixel, 1bluepixel” it saves “3bluepixels”). The more diverse the colours are, the larger the file.

If you don’t want to compromise at all, you’ll have to live with the 106 MB, however, you could try to reduce the quality to 95 or 90 percent (this adds similar colours together, to keep with the above example, “1lightbluepixel, 1darkbluepixel” would become “2mediumbluepixels”) and check if you can spot a difference in the result — there are good chances the differences are so small that they are not visible in the final product, but significant enough to save space.

Short version: Try a quality of 95 or 90 percent. Saves you space and probably won’t make a visible difference in the output.