You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Retaining vector artwork on export when using adjustment layers

I'm working on a vector composition in Designer and I needed to adjust the colours of a number of elements and thought I'd attempt to use adjustment layers before I began the painstaking task of editing all of the objects individually. I was secretly hoping that adjustment layers within Affinity Designer might work in a manner similar to Phantasm by Astute Graphics—applying the colour adjustments while retaining the vector shapes and properties even when exported to vector formats such as EPS, SVG and PDF. Sadly Designer rasterizes ANY vector artwork that has adjustment layers (or effects) applied to it. 

I understand from the numerous forum threads on the matter that plug-in support (ie: support for Astute Graphics plug-ins) is not on the horizon for Affinity products. If this is indeed the case I'd like to request that the product folks behind Affinity Designer seriously consider adding the ability to work with vectors (including filters, adjustments, brushes, etc) end-to-end (import, creation and export) within their vector editing application. As it stands now I find myself having to return to Illustrator far more than I'd like for vector graphic work, and for me it really calls into question why bother with Affinity in the first place?

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. Just finished up some work and was told all of the gradient effects in the exported EPS files had been rasterized. I'm a new convert to AD and had not known that was an issue. I jumped to AD to avoid having to pay for Illustrator...but like you said, if AD isn't doing what I need it to do, and Illustrator is...