You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flattened Layers Issue

I have just been trying to sort out a Star trail image in Affinity Photo 1.8.5.7. Even though I dabble with Affinity software I think I may have discovered another bug. Just a bit of background to set the scene; the whole process involved creating a ‘New Stack’ to which I added additional layers to sort out various things. When I came to flatten the layers it took me a while to figure out that this command is not available in the 'Layers' menu but in the 'Document' menu! Which to me is not logical, and just another quirk of how things are implemented in ‘Affinity Photo’.

Anyway back to the bug, when I applied the flatten command the layers where merged in to a single ‘Pixel’ layer but a lot of the visible information (the Star tails)in the multi-layer image vanished. Not the result I was expecting! To prove this I have taken some screen shots. Both image windows are identical 'affinity' files, the one on the right had the flatten command applied.

It took me a while to arrange the evidence because ‘Affinity Photo’ lacks some of the basic command and facilities used in other software which makes this thing easy and quick to achieve. Hopefully, the people at Affinity (Serif) will add these necessary features (Arrange or Tile Windows, Duplicate, Save Workspace etc)  to make it more of a contender in the professional world and educational markets.

001 - Affinity Photo 1-8-5-7.jpg

002 - Affinity Photo 1-8-5-7 flatten.jpg

003 - Affinity Photo 1-8-5-7 flattened.jpg

Its uploading to the link you supplied. It will take a while as the file is 3,008,038 Kb.The image stack is till present in the layers along with merged pixel layers with some having layer masks. Affinity Photos preference has the 'Ram Usage Limit'  set to maximum of 65536MB  and same setting for the 'Disk Usage Warning'.

FYI my computer is Windows 7 64bit, AMD FX-8350 (eight core 4Ghz) 32Gb Ram, 1TB ssd system disk, AMD R9-270X graphics and lots of storage space on Multiple HD's.

Just noticed something else when looking at the RGB/8bit Affinity files on my computer. The Affinity image file with all the layers is 3,008,038 KB and  the flattened Affinity image file is 3,031,885 KB!!! The flattened image exported as a PSD file is only 58,523KB. Is this another bug?

File size query.jpg

I should have added  to the above: I would have thought the flattened affinity image file (untitled 2) with just one layer would be much smaller in file size when compared to (untitled 1 which has around 70 layers) the  image is only 3648px x 5472px at 300ppi. What's the reason for such a massive affinity file size when it only has one layer?