You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iOS versions for iPad Pro?

• Staff

Hi Jim,

We are definitely going to launch some products on iPad, we are researching and testing this right now. As you can see from the video it is running fairly well on an iPad it will run even better on an iPad Pro :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Jim,

We are definitely going to launch some products on iPad, we are researching and testing this right now. As you can see from the video it is running fairly well on an iPad it will run even better on an iPad Pro :)

C

Hi Callum,

are there also any plans to support the iPad pro as a penn tablet device? I would liket to get rid of my Wacom tablet and use the iPad instead :-)

Cheers,

Ralf.

• Staff

Hi Callum,

are there also any plans to support the iPad pro as a penn tablet device? I would liket to get rid of my Wacom tablet and use the iPad instead :-)

Cheers,

Ralf.

Hi Ralf,

At the moment we have no solid plans for exactly what will be possible with the iPad Pro. However it may be worth posting this onto our Feature Requests section for our developers to consider.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Affinity Designer and Photo for iPad Pro :yay:

Affinity Designer and Photo for iPad :please no:

Still I'm not totally sold for that new iPad Pro, it looks great with a pencil and keyboard but still a huge concern for me is - it's still just iOS on a bigger screen + no Intel chip.

In the end it will just not touch the MS Surface quality I think, while it will have the same price tag of course because it's Apple.

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

In the end it will just not touch the MS Surface quality I think, while it will have the same price tag of course because it's Apple.

I have a Surface Pro 3 and I find it barely useable. Even with Windows 10, the thing flicks between tablet and desktop modes all the time. Tapping in a text field is a crapshoot as to whether the on-screen keyboard will appear or not. If it doesn't, half the time the icon on the taskbar to manually invoke the keyboard has vanished. Rotation lock activates itself and can only be turned off with a restart. The stylus is too small to use comfortably as a drawing tool, and brush lag in MangaStudio is terrible. I thought I might use it for some media consumption, so I installed Plex, which will only play one minute of content unless I pay for a Plex Pass, something none of the other Plex-enabled devices in the house do.

In short: it was a complete waste of money. If the iPad Pro ends up costing me a couple of hundred more, it'll still be better value for money than the Surface if I can actually use the thing.

I imagine many of us have seen the short video of Designer running on an iPad, and yesterday's iPad Pro announcement seems to be begging for an affordable Adobe alternative. I know development resources are limited, but are there plans to bring Designer (and Photo?) to the iPad?

Thanks!

Jim

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw the presentation...

Cheers

Frank

From the Affinity website jobs section...

iOS Developer

Nottingham, England

We’re starting to work on full featured iPad versions of the Affinity Range with no compromise. An incredibly challenging project and one which only the very best iOS engineers will be capable of. Are you that person?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I have a Surface Pro 3 and I find it barely useable. Even with Windows 10, the thing flicks between tablet and desktop modes all the time. Tapping in a text field is a crapshoot as to whether the on-screen keyboard will appear or not. If it doesn't, half the time the icon on the taskbar to manually invoke the keyboard has vanished. Rotation lock activates itself and can only be turned off with a restart. The stylus is too small to use comfortably as a drawing tool, and brush lag in MangaStudio is terrible. I thought I might use it for some media consumption, so I installed Plex, which will only play one minute of content unless I pay for a Plex Pass, something none of the other Plex-enabled devices in the house do.

In short: it was a complete waste of money. If the iPad Pro ends up costing me a couple of hundred more, it'll still be better value for money than the Surface if I can actually use the thing.

Wow, Really ?

Win 10 has been nothing short of superb on any 10" plus HD tablet here, anything below 10" and it feels like you are shoving a knife up your own ying yang

Well that looks like something....  :blink:  :rolleyes: great 

https://vimeo.com/170451622 AP 1.5 on iPad

iOS 10 will shoot DNG RAWs on iPhone 6s (plus) and iPad pro 9,7

I´d really like to have the stacking to remove noise feature, panorama stitching and curves adjustments on my iPhone as well  :rolleyes:

I don´t expect a full feature set on my iPhone but just a camera app the captures RAW and enhances them in a few basic but powerful ways with your software!

Thanks for your consideration!

You can always store your iPhone DNGs, open in AP (iPad or Desktop) and edit...

I'd love see something like a sidecar app for iPhone to use some features/shortcuts to desktop or iPad App (hands-off) rather than the classic YASCA (Yet Another Smartphone Camera App) :P  ...

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

You mean more like these Wacom-iPad type of apps that try to make your iOS device a tablet? meeeeh....not so sure about those.

And You´ve got the keyboard anyway and that has buttons with separations that you can press blindfolded and customize already.

iPhone as a mac companion seems very gimmicky and flimsy to me.

I don´t see it as a camera app, but while they´re at it they could just through in the camera API so that I don´t have to go to YASCA to capture the RAW and then edit (stitch, merge, stack) in AP on iPhone.

Would be perfect if it could be a universal app thus you buy the iPad app and also have the stripped down iPhone version. iOS developers can specify code per device type so there should not be a tremendous overhead.

Another benefit would be that you can show your AD/AP files which you may have stored in the cloud on your iPhone in full resolution.

This could further into ONE app to capture stuff like shapes and colors as adobe does with their millions of apps but that´s rather gimmicky.

I mean something like this 

iphone6_panel.png

on your iPhone while using AP full screen for example..

So a full access to panels, colour selectors, presets, adjustments... Anything you need.

Imagine this scenario:

You are retouching with your classic desktop and change HSL using the iphone, keeping your eyes on the whole picture instead of the floating palette.

At least this is how I'd like to use it in a professional context  :)

by retouching you mean drawing?

Oh well the montage looks decent but I´m concerned about the usability.

Your iPhone will be scratching around on the table white you´re sliding your finger on it with only one hand and thus you won´t get great precision.

But even more importantly you´ll have to switch your view/ your eyes from the MB/iMac screen standing in front of you to the iPhone laying flat so I´d say it´s better to get a decent sized monitor and stay on that one. 

You could have side panels that float in when you approach the edges of the screen (LR does that in some configurations) and use them to select brushes quickly without cluttering the view (and your desk).

My POV for a camera App is that the the Wifi stuff from DSLR/DSLM just does´t cut it for quick population of content that has to have a certain quality and I just stick with my iPhone for these quick shots. And the stacking feature for noise reduction is just hugely impressive and works extremely well with the iPhone burst mode so that it would greatly enhance pictures (combined with burst exposure bracketing).

Maybe your feature could nevertheless be implemented in the designer App that also features live preview for iOS devices (as I understand it)

by retouching you mean drawing?

Oh well the montage looks decent but I´m concerned about the usability.

Your iPhone will be scratching around on the table white you´re sliding your finger on it with only one hand and thus you won´t get great precision.

Not only drawing... Imagine there a quick set of Healing tools, Inpaining etc.

Or (better) controls such as brush size, saturation of the colour you're using on the Y axis and lightness on the X axis...

You don't need precision if there are few controls there and live feedbacks.

If you have an Apple TV and relative iOS Remote App you can understand what I mean.

Obviously for some specific tasks you need to look at your iPhone screen (as far as you need to look at your Studio palette) with the advantage that your screen is free from controls and you could focus on your tasks easier.

Btw it is a well know ux approach, close to the one Wacom decided to follow for its Cintiq27 and ExpressKey Remote

dth2700-expresskey-remote.jpg

Obviously the absence of tactile feedback is a limit, but some scenarios could be covered easily, maybe?

:)

• 3 weeks later...