You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I am having trouble getting presets to do something in Affinity Photo (MacOS 11.0.1, Photo 1.8.6).

I have saved a Levels preset but when I click it, it does nothing! I have a pixel layer selected.

If I need to do something to make it apply it would be helpful if Photo could say something... i.e. "Please select a pixel layer" or "Please select an RGB image" etc. 

Anyway, it would be useful to have presets working.

Thank you!

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 7.10.25 pm.png

• Staff

Hi @Efvee,

Sorry to hear this!

If you're not using a graphics tablet, as described above, then can you please provide a screen recording showing your document, the layers panel (and which layer is selected) and what happens when you try to apply the Adjustments?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for your recording and I'm sorry to see this!

Using my Mac here I've been able to replicate this issue - but on a much more inconsistent basis.

I'm finding that perhaps 1 in 5 times I select the preset, it is not applied, but around 4in 5 times the preset it applied correctly. Therefore I will be logging this as a bug with our developers now.

I found it slightly more consistent when double clicking the preset thumbnail - could you please try this for me and let me know if it applies?

Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan C

You say you have replicated this issue be it all on an inconsistent basis but you don’t say if this was using a mouse or pen or did you try both? I would be interested to know given as I said above I’ve flagged this issue before without any real positive response. Now the issue has surfaced again clearly the issue is very much still there.

• Staff

Apologies, this was using a Magic Mouse with macOS Big Sur - I had no graphics tablet connected to my mac at the time. 

As mentioned, this is logged with our developers to be fixed asap :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

6 hours ago, Dan C said:

I found it slightly more consistent when double clicking the preset thumbnail - could you please try this for me and let me know if it applies?

Double-clicking does not change the behaviour for me. If I quit Photo and launch it afresh, the preset will apply the first time I click it but subsequent attempts will have no effect.

Thank you for the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 12/23/2020 at 5:13 PM, Efvee said:

Double-clicking does not change the behaviour for me. If I quit Photo and launch it afresh, the preset will apply the first time I click it but subsequent attempts will have no effect.

Sorry to hear this - from your screen recording it would appear you have a second monitor connected. Do you know the resolution of both your main monitor and your secondary monitor?
As one of our developers has commented that it may be related to 'non-retina' machines/displays.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that - could you please try closing the Affinity app, disconnect the LG Ultrawide monitor and then relaunch the Affinity app.

Do you see any noticeable difference with the Adjustment Presets consistency? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

My apologies for the delayed response here as I have been awaiting feedback from other teams.

Do you happen to have the latest beta for Photo installed? Our QA team would like to know if this issue is present here, or only in the retail version?

As mentioned above, this is logged with our developers as I'm seeing similar inconsistencies here - however there has yet to be any update on this report, my apologies.

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hello Dan, 

Thanks for the update!

I tried the new beta and the behaviour is the same.  
However, I did discover that the problem seems to be related to Separated Mode. (I need to use Separated Mode because I have to refer to other applications while I am working.)

When Separated Mode is off, the presets apply pretty consistently.

• Staff

Many thanks for trying that for me and I'm certainly sorry to hear this!

13 hours ago, Efvee said:

However, I did discover that the problem seems to be related to Separated Mode

Thanks for clarifying that for me, I have found a recently created bug report which is specific for Big Sur & separated mode - this report shows that with this combination selecting Adjustment Presets is essentially impossible and I too have replicated this here.

As this is already recently logged with our developers, I'll 'bump' the report with your post now - however due to the severity of this issue I will also change the 'tag' on the report to High, so that hopefully this can be prioritised by our developers and fixed shortly.

Unfortunately I do not have a workaround I can offer, other than disabling Separated Mode (however I understand this is not ideal due to your setup), my apologies.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!