You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using the colour picker in the "magnified" mode, the RGB values on the document (e.g. fill layer) are different from the same colour in the swatches panel. For example, in a new layer filled with R:242 G:13 B:13 the corresponding colour on the swatches panel is R:220 G:51 B:17. It's the same for every choice.

Is the swatches panel able to show the right colour?

Thank you

I don't see that on my system.

Some questions:

1. Which release of Affinity Photo, and what OS are you using?
  2. Which color picker? The Color Picker Tool, or eyedropper in the Swatches Panel? Or some other one? If you mean the Color Picker Tool, what Context Toolbar options do you have selected?
  3. Do you have anything else in your document except that Fill layer? If so, can you show us a screenshot of the document, including the Layers panel?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't see that on my system.

Some questions:

1. Which release of Affinity Photo, and what OS are you using?
  2. Which color picker? The Color Picker Tool, or eyedropper in the Swatches Panel? Or some other one? If you mean the Color Picker Tool, what Context Toolbar options do you have selected?
  3. Do you have anything else in your document except that Fill layer? If so, can you show us a screenshot of the document, including the Layers panel?

I'm using 1.8.5.703 on Windows 10. It happens with any colour picker (eg swatches, gradient tool). Attached a couple of screenshot with just the fill layer.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3 hours ago, Lagarto said:

Without proper documentation it is somewhat guesswork to tell how Affinity apps convert and display colors, but this kind of behavior can easily be experienced whenever the document color profile is different from the working color profiles specified in Preferences > Color. The swatch color value, when examined with color picker, would be identical than the defined value in a situation you have an sRGB document color profile and the working RGB color profile is the same. But it would be different if they differ.

A couple of examples:

a) Document color profile Adobe RGB and working RGB profile sRGB: the RGB defined color fill RGB 242, 13, 13 would be shown as RGB 255, 8, 5 (the value the color of the fill would be if the document would be converted to sRGB). 

b) Document color profile CMYK Coated Fogra 39 and the working RGB profile sRGB: the RGB defined color fill RGB 242, 13, 13 would be shown as RGB 228, 28, 29 when picked from the swatch, which is the approximate RGB value of the current profile-pair-based CMYK equivalent color (C0 M98 Y93 K0) when converted back to sRGB.

swatch_colors.jpg.980b597276cd75b1e4de4f01f6fd7716.jpg

the internal color conversions and the method of displaying colors in different color modes can easily get confusing in Affinity apps. E.g., when the document is in CMYK color mode, the RGB defined color values are internally retained even if they are always displayed simulating the target CMYK color profile. On the other hand, CMYK gamut is clipped to sRGB which can easily be seen checking how cyan values are not shown at full CMYK color gamut (even if the display gamut would allow that). The defined original RGB values (instead of profile-converted swatch values) would be used when producing RGB outputs from a CMYK document.  

EDIT On closer look it seems that swatch colors are always converted to sRGB no matter what the working RGB color profile is.

In this case the colour profile is the same (AdobeRGB) both in "Preferences>Colour" and "Document".

5 hours ago, Lagarto said:

UI color elements seem to always be shown in sRGB

Rather, it will depend on the ICC profile for monitor defined in the OS.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.