You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjusting Margins destroys my layout

I am fairly sure that you cannot resolve this issue automatically, rather than with manual intervention.
The margins are there purely as ‘guides’ for manual layout and do not affect any of your layers.
If you also have Designer then you could possibly use Constraints to get some kind of automatic layout re-positioning but that would make things even more complicated (and I don’t know how well it might work as I have not tried it myself).
The best thing you can do is to set the page size and margins ‘in stone’ from the start.

From the look of what you are creating (a book?) it would have been better to have created the text frames on the master page - (I believe that is the correct way to do it)

You could then have moved them all globally just by moving them on the master page

Not sure how many pages you have done so far or how many pages you have left to do. But if you anticipate that you may have a need to manually reposition the text boxes ever again in the future you may want to consider redoing the document from the start with the "correct" use of the text boxes on the master page. PS If you save this document to an appropriate format you may be able to reimport all the text easily (in one go) into the new document.

Runs & hides

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Sorry to say this but as carl123 said you should make your text frames on the Master Pages, remember to link them, and then when you resize them the pages' text frames will resize automatically. And as GarryP stated the Margins are really only guides, I mostly just ignore them.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for your help everyone. The more I use Publisher, the more I realise it's limitations. I bought Publisher to do Book Layouts for my clients and myself. 

I moved them manually as it was 250 pages. I will set up text frame in Master Pages next time to see if that helps. 

I love the community here. Thanks every one! 

Remember, that Publisher is fairly new on the market and I agree with you, it has its limitations. But it is improving I am sure.

I agree with the others, using masterpages will solve your problem. It is very important to understand how masterpages work. So I should start there. Publisher is a layout application, not a wordprocessor. This is a very important difference because when you set or change margins in a wordprocessor, your text into that section or page range is affected. In layout applications, if you have a visible margin it is only for visualising them,  they do not affect your text when changing them.

A few months ago I experimented with Publisher but decided to temporarily change to another layout application because it had some glitches. Nevertheless, don't dismiss Publisher because it will become better.

• 1 year later...
Just now, EatMoreBacon said:

My document is 950 pages long. Is there any way to add pages with the (master page) text boxes linked, or do I have to manually link each spread

Start over.

Make a Master Page with linked text frames if this is a two page spread (in my opinion it is better to work this way, easier to visualize what the actual pages will look like in the printed book). Make a document with 1 (one) page, apply the master page to the Actual Page. Now you can paste (or better yet, Place the text file) the 950pages worth of text into that one page, there will be the overflow icon showing red. Shift and click on it, you will have all the text flow into new pages all linked all based on the one page's applied Master Page.

Believe me and just start over, it will save time in the short and long run.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Believe me and just start over, it will save time in the short and long run.

I believe you since you seem to have experienced it according to your various posts in similar threads.

I just wonder: Would it work in the existing 950 page layout with all frames linked properly to type a page break on a page where one wants to add content (respectively  add content there directly) – and then go to the last page to eventually get the missing pages auto-created with a shift-click on the overflow icon?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Just now, thomaso said:

I believe you since you seem to have experienced it according to your various posts in similar threads.

I just wonder: Would it work in the existing 950 page layout with all frames linked properly to type a page break on a page where one wants to add content (respectively  add content there directly) – and then go to the last page to eventually get the missing pages auto-created with a shift-click on the overflow icon?

If you want to add text in the middle of a finished (when is anything ever truly finished?) document just go ahead and do so. Then as you asked, go to the last page and shift click to get the overflown pages at the end. As long as the last page has the Master Page applied to it you'll have the same Master Page pages for the newly created pages.