You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

eps files skips layers and changes color.

erchdk

I searched the forum but did not find this addressed (maybe my search was bad, so please link to topic if I missed it).

Opening eps files in different applications always comes with some surprises. This screen dump shows the same eps file opened in AD (1.8x) and  Adobe Illustrator CC2018. And I notice a few things. I have converted the document color space to RGB/8 sRGB in both applications and files. As you can see on the screen dump RGB color is slightly different from AI to AD (AI is on the left, AD on the right). As you also can see, layer are better organized in AI than AD. Layers are actually completely missing in AD... (I also tried in 1.9 beta AD but same same).

Does anyone have some ideas how to make import/open of eps files in AD preserve layer hierachi better? And get color to match across applications?

Or link to a topic that discusses this issue?

Thanks in advance.

ai affinity eps.jpg

If the PDF was generated with Adobe Illustrator with AI compatibility set to on then Adobe Illustrator writes the AI document info after the EPS info, other applications will ignore this information as it does not belong to the EPS specification. Adobe Illustrator however does read it back in when opening the EPS file so that is why you will get differences when opening the EPS in another application.

Long story short, Adobe Illustrator is "cheating" with the EPS (and PDF) by putting all its info in the EPS  (or PDF) that is basically only read(able) by AI and maybe also other Adobe software like PS and ID.

2 hours ago, Arte said:

If the PDF was generated with Adobe Illustrator with AI compatibility set to on then Adobe Illustrator writes the AI document info after the EPS info, other applications will ignore this information as it does not belong to the EPS specification. Adobe Illustrator however does read it back in when opening the EPS file so that is why you will get differences when opening the EPS in another application.

Long story short, Adobe Illustrator is "cheating" with the EPS (and PDF) by putting all its info in the EPS  (or PDF) that is basically only read(able) by AI and maybe also other Adobe software like PS and ID.

Thanks. I suspected as much that Adobe cheats in some way or another. I have no idea about the origin of the eps file, but I suspect it has been generated in AI.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gabe. No problem. Well.... the problem is, that the file I received is a kind of for authorized award winners only so can not upload to public forums. I will share with you privately as long as you delete the file after evaluation.

22 hours ago, Gabe said:

Ta. It has indeed an embedded AI file, which we cannot read. :(

Thanks for looking into it. That's to bad... I can understand that would affect layers and order, but how come it also affects color code?

• Staff
On 12/21/2020 at 8:51 AM, erchdk said:

I have converted the document color space to RGB/8 sRGB in both applications and files

This is where the issue comes from. 

If you create a new RGB/8 doc with sRGB ICC profile and just File > Place the EPS, you gonna have the right colours. The problem is most likely related to it being exported by Illustrator. 

When you open the EPS in a text editor, you will find that the file incorrectly shows as being CMYK. We follow what's in the readable data, so opening the file directly in Designer will set the working space to CMYK. When you change colour modes (CMYK to RGB) you can't assign them, as you can with a wrong ICC profile, so the values will be converted/changed. 

%ADOEndClientInjection: DocumentHeader "AI11EPS"
%%Pages: 1
%%DocumentNeededResources: 
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: procset Adobe_AGM_Image 1.0 0
%%+ procset Adobe_CoolType_Utility_T42 1.0 0
%%+ procset Adobe_CoolType_Utility_MAKEOCF 1.23 0
%%+ procset Adobe_CoolType_Core 2.31 0
%%+ procset Adobe_AGM_Core 2.0 0
%%+ procset Adobe_AGM_Utils 1.0 0
%%DocumentFonts: 
%%DocumentNeededFonts: 
%%DocumentNeededFeatures: 
%%DocumentSuppliedFeatures: 
%%DocumentProcessColors:  Cyan Magenta Yellow Black
%%DocumentCustomColors: 
%%CMYKCustomColor: 
%%RGBCustomColor: 
%%EndComments

Whereas an EPS exported from Affinity shows the correct Colour Space and ICC

photoshop:ColorMode="3"
   photoshop:ICCProfile="sRGB IEC61966-2.1"

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

This is where the issue comes from. 

If you create a new RGB/8 doc with sRGB ICC profile and just File > Place the EPS, you gonna have the right colours. The problem is most likely related to it being exported by Illustrator. 

When you open the EPS in a text editor, you will find that the file incorrectly shows as being CMYK. We follow what's in the readable data, so opening the file directly in Designer will set the working space to CMYK. When you change colour modes (CMYK to RGB) you can't assign them, as you can with a wrong ICC profile, so the values will be converted/changed. 

%ADOEndClientInjection: DocumentHeader "AI11EPS"
%%Pages: 1
%%DocumentNeededResources: 
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: procset Adobe_AGM_Image 1.0 0
%%+ procset Adobe_CoolType_Utility_T42 1.0 0
%%+ procset Adobe_CoolType_Utility_MAKEOCF 1.23 0
%%+ procset Adobe_CoolType_Core 2.31 0
%%+ procset Adobe_AGM_Core 2.0 0
%%+ procset Adobe_AGM_Utils 1.0 0
%%DocumentFonts: 
%%DocumentNeededFonts: 
%%DocumentNeededFeatures: 
%%DocumentSuppliedFeatures: 
%%DocumentProcessColors:  Cyan Magenta Yellow Black
%%DocumentCustomColors: 
%%CMYKCustomColor: 
%%RGBCustomColor: 
%%EndComments

Whereas an EPS exported from Affinity shows the correct Colour Space and ICC

photoshop:ColorMode="3"
   photoshop:ICCProfile="sRGB IEC61966-2.1"

Thanks for the thorough answer. I must say, that is a bit to technical for me. At least for if I have to bear that in mind every time I receive a file to open it in a text editor to figure out the color profile in order to decide which way to proceed working with the document...
Really... Thanks! I appreciate your effort to dive into the issue I experience, and give feedback. And keep up the great work!