You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Deleted all 70 of my Asset Categories in Asset Studio

Affinity Photo froze up on me, while I was in the middle of adding a selected asset, into one of my of asset categories.

I manually closed out Affinity Photo - upon return - my asset studio no longer had my 70 categories.
(I’ve encountered this freeze issue many times before, where I would manually close out the app - but it never deleted ALL of my Assets 😢)

I always back up my assets into iCloud, so their safe.
What sucks balls - is that I have to manually import them one at a time. 70 damned times.

Which is strange for these futuristic devices. Doing things one at a time, instead of mass batch importing. How we in the future - but backwards at the same time?

Anyways...

During this little adventure, I also came into the realization... it took Affinity Photo upwards 4-5 minutes to import one of my 182mb Asset Categories.
(I have many categories beyond this small size - Will they take 20 minutes each? Scary thought!)

At first, I thought Affinity Photo was refusing to import my category because of it’s 182mb file size. 
I was on the verge of bringing it up in this thread, then as I’m typing in this thread, I went back into Affinity Photo to reference something.. this was about 4-5 minutes after I tried importing the 182mb file, upon going back into Affinity Photo, there it was (the 182mb assets) chilling in my Asset Studio, all smug, like it was there all along.

I am posting this experience, to ask...  are there any bugs with Asset Studio as of the recent release iOS 14.3 update?  
Anybody else experiencing this?

Specs:

• iPad Pro 12.9 (2020 Model

— —- - - — - - - ——- - - —- - - - —- - - - - 

My Affinity Photo iPad Creations:

Urban Ninja vs. Drone || Folded Space || 1st Revolt

12 hours ago, Affinity iPad Student said:

Affinity Photo froze up on me, while I was in the middle of adding a selected asset, into one of my of asset categories.

I manually closed out Affinity Photo - upon return - my asset studio no longer had my 70 categories.
(I’ve encountered this freeze issue many times before, where I would manually close out the app - but it never deleted ALL of my Assets 😢)

I always back up my assets into iCloud, so their safe.
What sucks balls - is that I have to manually import them one at a time. 70 damned times.

Which is strange for these futuristic devices. Doing things one at a time, instead of mass batch importing. How we in the future - but backwards at the same time?

Anyways...

During this little adventure, I also came into the realization... it took Affinity Photo upwards 4-5 minutes to import one of my 182mb Asset Categories.
(I have many categories beyond this small size - Will they take 20 minutes each? Scary thought!)

At first, I thought Affinity Photo was refusing to import my category because of it’s 182mb file size. 
I was on the verge of bringing it up in this thread, then as I’m typing in this thread, I went back into Affinity Photo to reference something.. this was about 4-5 minutes after I tried importing the 182mb file, upon going back into Affinity Photo, there it was (the 182mb assets) chilling in my Asset Studio, all smug, like it was there all along.

I am posting this experience, to ask...  are there any bugs with Asset Studio as of the recent release iOS 14.3 update?  
Anybody else experiencing this?

The iPad is a fast but resource limited device, I personally would advise against loading in assets, fonts or any other add on features until you need them and remove afterward. Assets especially are very very large and once loaded into the App iPadOS cannot optimise that space and your iPad will fill faster than expected. As you have found, learning to keep those assets organised in an optimised location like Cloud folder so that they are always available when you need them will keep your apps fast and responsive and also free up space on your device.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2020 at 12:43 PM, Paul Mudditt said:

The iPad is a fast but resource limited device, I personally would advise against loading in assets, fonts or any other add on features until you need them and remove afterward. Assets especially are very ver

On 12/22/2020 at 8:13 AM, DWright said:

This has been logged with our developers to investigated further 

y large and once loaded into the App iPadOS cannot optimise that space and your iPad will fill faster than expected. As you have found, learning to keep those assets organised in an optimised location like Cloud folder so that they are always available when you need them will keep your apps fast and responsive and also free up space on your device.

Thanks guys!

Specs:

• iPad Pro 12.9 (2020 Model

— —- - - — - - - ——- - - —- - - - —- - - - - 

My Affinity Photo iPad Creations:

Urban Ninja vs. Drone || Folded Space || 1st Revolt