You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extra Line spacing at the end of page

I am trying to do the layout of a book. I easily do this in Indesign without any problem. 

However, I am noticing that in Affinity Publisher, there is a blank line at the end of page on some pages, but not on others. 

I have attached a video that shows you what I am talking about here. You will see some pages have text that fill the page, but some pages leave an extra line space at the bottom. 

I have tried to press delete or fn delete to backspace, but that is of no help. The software just skips the last line and places the text on a new page. I do not know what the extra line is. 

How do I fix this?

My guess: it's some combination of your widows and orphans settings, and your keep together settings.

But without having a sample .afpub document that demonstrates the problem it will probably remain a guess.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You were correct Walt. 

It had something to do with "combination of your widows and orphans settings, and your keep together settings."

I unticked those boxes and it worked. I find that odd, as I would have thought that turning those ON would prevent what was happening to me. 

Thanks for reaching out and supporting! 

It appears to me to be your widows and orphan settings. I don't see any selected in your Styles panel.

I noticed you have only one master page for all of your content. Have you considered adding separate master pages? For example, title page, copyright, dedication, end matter?

A separate Content Master, where you would load and flow your novel's content, can be used for page numbering at the bottom of pages or the top.

If you do a google search for the words Affinity Publisher + what it is you are looking for, plenty of videos will pop up for you to peruse at your leisure. That's how I learned to use multiple Master Pages, as well as page numbering, etc.

I've been using Publisher successfully for quite a while now. As I'm becoming more familiar with the program and start to use it to it's full potential, I find Walt to be a tireless advocate and answerer of my questions. Thanks, Walt.

Hi Twolane, Thanks for reaching out. 

I will be adding in more masters pages later. I was just stuck at this stage and only started with the layout. 

I usually only have 2-3 master pages in Indesign. Thanks for the tip! I guess there is a learning curve here for me coming from Indesign, which is a little more intuitive. 

Perhaps there are some bugs here, perhaps I just need to learn more. 

I have three of my e-books prepared for print books so far. Without Publisher I'd never have done it. It was quite a learning curve, but I dedicated an entire day to watching videos. (You have no idea how strongly I dislike watching instructional videos.) By the end of that day, I was completely fed up. The next day, in four hours, I had my first print book pdf-ready for printing. That included the cover I did in Aphoto. I use KDP's cover patterns depending on the number of pages in the print book. It all works like a charm.

I have used Designer to prepare two vector covers as well. Piece of cake.

The templates I have saved in Publisher have saved my bacon. Now it's merely a matter of "plugging and playing", as the old saying goes, all thanks to the beauty of the Content Master page.

Publisher also has a baseline grid manager that you might take a look at, too. I've already deleted your work, and I won't download it again to look, but it will ensure your text on facing pages lines up.

1 hour ago, hiteshergef said:

I unticked those boxes and it worked. I find that odd, as I would have thought that turning those ON would prevent what was happening to me. 

It can be hard to understand.

Sorry, but I was busy and did not have time to download your file, which you now seem to have removed. But you now know the area to look at further, and have a fix for the immediate problem :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm having the same problem: when the text flows over into the next linked page, there is a huge gap. 

Walt.Farrell said:

"It appears to me to be your widows and orphan settings. I don't see any selected in your Styles panel.". 

Where do I find these settings and could you please explain that a bit more so I know what to adjust? 

Thank you kindly, it's frustrating!

Sue

• Staff

Hi @OSM,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

15 hours ago, OSM said:

"It appears to me to be your widows and orphan settings. I don't see any selected in your Styles panel.". 

Where do I find these settings and could you please explain that a bit more so I know what to adjust? 

These options can be found in the Paragraph Studio, under the Flow Options -

image.png

If you're still having trouble after adjusting these options, can you please attach a copy of your .afpub file here which demonstrates this issue?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi @Dan C

Thank you for your welcome and quick reply, I really appreciate it! 

So I did finally find the flow options and toggle those you highlighted there, but they didn't change anything.  However I did finally find what was the issue:  It was the "inline text" button at the top (see attached), that was making the text begin in the middle of the page. Changed that to top, and it's all good again. 

OSM

inline text.png