You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Odd "Edit in Affinity Photo" behaviour

When choosing the “Edit in Affinity Photo” through the Extension list (…); Affinity opens with the photo and I’m able to edit as I please. When I close the photo, Affinity initiates the transfer back to OSX Photos, but it is pasting (best way I can describe it) a previous photo I edited in Affinity some days ago (a panorama I created in Affinity Photo). If I press save, this photo actually replaces the original photo I had targeted for editing in Affinity Photo through extensions. Cancelling brings me back to the original photo in OSX Photos, but unmodified.

Environment:

Big Sur 11.1
Photos v 6.0
Affinity Photo 1.8.6
iMac 2017 27" Retina with 24Gb RAM

Edited by Ron Levesque

• Staff

Hi @Ron Levesque,

Welcome to the forums :)

This is certainly strange behaviour that I haven't had reported previously! Just to make sure I fully understand the report, could you please provide a quick screen recording showing the steps you're taking and the result you're seeing?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi - Did the screen recording and it is attached. I just now noticed an error message on the bottom of the frame about "change limit exceeded" (you will see on the recording). It switches the photo right at the time when we are asked to Cancel or Save the changes to move back into Mac Photos....(I also note that this time, it is no longer a previous panorama I had edited before, but a different bird shot I edited earlier in the day).   Also need to mention these are typically 55MB RAW NEF files from a D850...

• Staff

Many thanks for your recording! I believe this is happening as you're not applying your changes/developing the RAW image before returning to Apple Photos. Unfortunately simply setting the sliders within the Develop Persona cannot be translated back to Apple Photos.

Please use Edit In Affinity Photo to open a RAW file from Photos in Affinity. Now, navigate to View > Show Context Toolbar and enable this option.

Now, set your sliders until you're happy with the image, then select Develop on the Context Toolbar. Once your image has been developed, you can use File>Save, then File>Close to send the image back to Photos, where it should replace the RAW file with the edited version. I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!