You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Usability request] Change smooth node mouse shortcut

For the love of all things, Serif. Change this shortcut. Why cant alt-click not just toggle the node type? This is the worst shortcut ever in desktop software:

image.png.5ace8f61d6365196a86eb0b9a4413b59.png

In fact it doesn't work in that order. But if you Right click and then left click it works... ork clumsy and it includes a right click menu pop up:

right.gif.35ad71171775cb281ece4c6836b64db8.gif

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

This does my head in ALL the time. It’s almost as if the folks who ‘designed’ this ‘experience’ had never seen—let alone used—any other vector drawing application.

Why did we need yet another thread on this?

There have been plenty of existing ones you could have added comments to instead.

Note also that this is a Windows-specific concern and is related to the fact that there are only three modifier keys available on Windows as opposed to four on the Mac (where this does get a modifier key instead of the mouse button gymnastics).

• 2 weeks later...

Alt+Click turns a smooth node into a sharp node but it also, according to the status bar, turns a sharp node into a sharp node, which is a pointless (pardon the weak pun) action that does nothing (as far as I can tell).

If I’m correct, and Alt+Click has no practical use on a sharp node, then why not instead use it to convert a sharp node to a smooth node (or cycle through the options – sharp → smooth → smart → sharp…)?

P.S. For me, the key/mouse combinations in the messages on the status bar are the wrong way round. For example, Click+Shift to add to selection seems backwards to me as it implies that you need to Click first and then press Shift. I’ve not seen this sort of thing in any software other then the Affinity applications and I think it must be very confusing to first-time users.