You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm still a beginner, learning AD on Udemy.

I contacted the tutor, who has decades of experience. It seemed natural I was doing something very wrong. But according to him it's a bug, and he directed me to this forum. I will paste the same message below.

"I had a template made to use for sharing my work on pinterest. This template was also created with AD and has two layers.
When I create a custom document with the correct dimensions, my next step is to "Place" the template on the custom document. But this makes the separate layers inaccessible for editing. It's treated as one solid layer, even though the file format is AD's own. (In case it matters, I keep a copy of the template on the desktop for regular use, without changing the file format. This is what I use in the described scenario.)

Only if I "Open" the template am I able to edit the layers as needed. But in that case, instead of opening in my custom document, a new tab opens automatically, with the template in it, and the document's dimensions are wrong. "

I would really appreciate some guidance. It's entirely possible that I missed something in my course. I'm mostly skimming through it because none of my projects involve drawing. I use bought graphics, which makes the course in question overkill. I'm mostly using it to gain familiarity with the software. It's really difficult to find information for using AD on the type of projects I do.

Thanks in advance.

See in the online help:

The layers panel will show you if a placed image is a image layer (image) or pixel layer (pixel). Further you can rasterize an (image) layer with a right click on that layer in the layers menu and choosing rasterize ... from the context menu. This way the (image) layer - gets/is converted to - a (pixel) layer you can edit directly. - In contrast an (image) layer behaves like an embedded document on it's own (good for mockups and the like).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Assuming that your template is a .aftemplate file, or a .afdesign file, when you Place it you will see in the Layers panel that you have an (Embedded Document) layer.

With the Move Tool selected, and the template layer selected, you should see an Edit Document button in the Context Toolbar. Just click it, and the template will open in a new tab for you to edit it locally, and your other layers will be accessible. When you're done, just close that tab, and your changes will be reflected in your main document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi and welcome to the forums @DarkSphynx,

You should open the template and work on that, skip the make a new document and place the template. Designer is capable of making actual Template files, these will create a new document with what ever is in the Template file and when you save that new file the Template file is unchanged so you can continue to use it for other projects.

To make a template set up your document with all the layers and guides and what ever else you need then go to File > Export as Template ...

I would first make a new folder/directory in Windows Explorer to hold the Designer Template Files in an easy to locate and logical place. I use my Documents folder on Mac.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 12/20/2020 at 1:42 PM, v_kyr said:

See in the online help:

The layers panel will show you if a placed image is a image layer (image) or pixel layer (pixel). Further you can rasterize an (image) layer with a right click on that layer in the layers menu and choosing rasterize ... from the context menu. This way the (image) layer - gets/is converted to - a (pixel) layer you can edit directly. - In contrast an (image) layer behaves like an embedded document on it's own (good for mockups and the like).

I'm probably doing something wrong. But I'm still not getting the separate layers.
After placing the the file it comes up as "embedded" in the layers panel. I converted it as suggested but the layers are still inaccessible, even though "embedded" is replaced with "pixel".

Maybe there's an update I still have to do. I'll explore further.

Edited by DarkSphynx

On 12/20/2020 at 2:27 PM, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Assuming that your template is a .aftemplate file, or a .afdesign file, when you Place it you will see in the Layers panel that you have an (Embedded Document) layer.

With the Move Tool selected, and the template layer selected, you should see an Edit Document button in the Context Toolbar. Just click it, and the template will open in a new tab for you to edit it locally, and your other layers will be accessible. When you're done, just close that tab, and your changes will be reflected in your main document.

This worked! I'm so relieved. Many thanks!

10 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

You should open the template and work on that, skip the make a new document and place the template. Designer is capable of making actual Template files, these will create a new document with what ever is in the Template file and when you save that new file the Template file is unchanged so you can continue to use it for other projects.

To make a template set up your document with all the layers and guides and what ever else you need then go to File > Export as Template ...

I would first make a new folder/directory in Windows Explorer to hold the Designer Template Files in an easy to locate and logical place. I use my Documents folder on Mac.

Thank you very much!

Sorry if this is a stupid question. But I'm not sure at which stage I would set the dimensions. Since this is for pinterest, I would only ever use this template in those dimensions.

7 minutes ago, DarkSphynx said:

I'm probably doing something wrong. But I'm still not getting the separate layers.

What I said about via converting/rasterization is when pacing in image files (bitmap photos) and not Affinity's own format files! - Placed in Affinity format files are embedded files (aka like files in files) and you can double click on them in the layers panel to get their representation in another editable window tab manner (as walt.farrel told above).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

38 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

What I said about via converting/rasterization is when pacing in image files (bitmap photos) and not Affinity's own format files! - Placed in Affinity format files are embedded files (aka like files in files) and you can double click on them in the layers panel to get their representation in another editable window tab manner (as walt.farrel told above).

Ok. Sorry. As I said I'm very new to this. I appreciate the clarification. That method sort of worked. Though I'm yet to make it remember what I did in the second tab. I'll play with it some more.

46 minutes ago, DarkSphynx said:

Since this is for pinterest, I would only ever use this template in those dimensions.

Pinterest ... I am decidedly not the person to give assistance, is it kinda like a facebook, or a snapchat? To quote Randall Munroe "I don't follow Pokemon". In other words, my ignorance is near limitless.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

38 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Pinterest ... I am decidedly not the person to give assistance, is it kinda like a facebook, or a snapchat? To quote Randall Munroe "I don't follow Pokemon". In other words, my ignorance is near limitless.

I used to think it was a social platform. But it's in fact a search engine for images. I link it to my etsy business that sells digital downloads. They like posts to have 1000px  x  1500px.
For branding and time saving purposes it's good to have a template.

That's pretty much all there's to it. But I ran into these issues that had me questioning my sanity. Especially given that my projects are fairly simple. But AD is anything bu simple.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:11 AM, Old Bruce said:

So I finally went with this approach and have a template based on the steps you describe. It's most appreciated.

I'm sure the other suggestions are not less good. But with my limited knowledge, this is what I managed to make work. So I really hope it's onwards and upwards from here.
This forum is truly valuable.