You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Replace all missing fonts in one step? (Designer)

Hiya,

Can all missing fonts be replaced in one step in Designer?

I'm opening an illustration that have lots and lots of missing fonts and it's a tedious task going through all layers finding and replacing them one at a time :blink:

Indesign has a nice solution for that and tells you which fonts are missing and give you a choice to set an alternate font.

It also has the option to "Find First" and it will jump to and highlight the text that has the missing font so you can directly test alternatives and then click "Change All".

Something like that would be very helpful.

Thanks / Johny

post-575-0-99669200-1441868367_thumb.png

Paul, that only holds for PDFs and .ai files. The reason being, having the replacement fonts in advance helps with text positioning. A more general Find and Replace for fonts (and other attributes) is something we plan to add later.

Thanks, Dave and apologies Johnny! 

I didn't realise until later that you have to manually change font substitution to the text layers after opening files that are other than .ai/.pdf files! 

Paul.  :blink:

Dave, it might be good throw in the Update Fonts button that's buried in the Preferences up to the Replace Fonts panel, so when the user activates the missing fonts, s/he can update the font list right from the same Replace Fonts pop-up window...

2 more cents.

Paul, that only holds for PDFs and .ai files. The reason being, having the replacement fonts in advance helps with text positioning. A more general Find and Replace for fonts (and other attributes) is something we plan to add later.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's what i meant @bpedit... the thing is the Reset Fonts button doesn't seem to update the fonts list... or only sometimes... it's REALLY a PITA that i can sometimes use some fonts and not other times...

Ronny, I can find neither an Update Fonts button nor a Replace Fonts panel. I've looked in both the current beta (1.3.5.18) and the current release version. I do see a Reset Fonts button but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Byrne

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 4 years later...