You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

First run at vector drawing

ShawnInTheUk

Having to be in isolation due to being Covid positive, I’ve taken a 15 hour course on using Affinity Designer for the iPad.  Based on what I learned, I have made a first run at drawing my 2019 Volvo XC40.  My plan is to redraw this in three months so I can see how much my approach changes and how much I improve my overall final image.  I really enjoy this creative outlet and look forward to challenging myself.  Feedback is welcome and appreciated.

E3FB07E2-E097-4BB2-8002-E4B15B481169.jpeg

DA90CB4F-4E7A-493A-B13D-86FEC94CF53A.png

Good first attempt, perhaps move the shadow down so it doesn't look like it's floating though. You should be pleasantly surprised how you continue to improve. Perhaps decide on the style you like, whether it's realistic or whatever and have a look at vector work that use that style on here, behance, dribbble or just web image searches. That gives you something to aim for. Of course you don't have to stick to just one style forever if you don't want to but to start with I don''t think that's a bad idea.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

11 hours ago, VectorVonDoom said:

Good first attempt, perhaps move the shadow down so it doesn't look like it's floating though. You should be pleasantly surprised how you continue to improve. Perhaps decide on the style you like, whether it's realistic or whatever and have a look at vector work that use that style on here, behance, dribbble or just web image searches. That gives you something to aim for. Of course you don't have to stick to just one style forever if you don't want to but to start with I don''t think that's a bad idea.

Thanks for the feedback VectorVonDoom, it’s greatly appreciated.  I moved the shadow around and didn’t care for it too much.  I think the bigger issue was the foreground and background being the same colour.  I have made a modification by making a gradient for the foreground and darkening the scene.  I believe works a bit better and adds more drama to the overall picture.  

2019_Volvo_XC40.jpg

I just meant something like this. Whatever the background is then you have shadows underneath and more so under the tyres. It's your car so you can look and see the shape of them and where they are darker when the light is the same as when you drew it. Use multiply blend mode for them with shades of grey, start with the lightest part of the shadow and work towards the darkest. They will then work even if you decide to change the background.

A dark coloured car on a dark background can look good when there are big highlights on the bodywork, something to make it pop out, otherwise it looks a bit bland to me.

E3FB07E2-E097-4BB2-8002-E4B15B481169.thumb.jpeg.1ad0de77e2684422d78bb1be035515da.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 12:55 PM, VectorVonDoom said:

I just meant something like this. Whatever the background is then you have shadows underneath and more so under the tyres. It's your car so you can look and see the shape of them and where they are darker when the light is the same as when you drew it. Use multiply blend mode for them with shades of grey, start with the lightest part of the shadow and work towards the darkest. They will then work even if you decide to change the background.

A dark coloured car on a dark background can look good when there are big highlights on the bodywork, something to make it pop out, otherwise it looks a bit bland to me.

E3FB07E2-E097-4BB2-8002-E4B15B481169.thumb.jpeg.1ad0de77e2684422d78bb1be035515da.jpg

Thank you for the feedback and constructive critique.  It is appreciated.