You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Secret? Editing points of a Mask after Vector Crop

This is weird:
One of the most common tasks for me in Affinity Designer (IPad pro) is to use the Vector Crop tool to remove unwanted parts of an image, and at first this only crops to the shape of a square or rectangle so you wouldn’t use it to crop a complex shape....  BUT it creates a mask in your layers tab so you should be able to then manipulate that mask’s nodes/curves just like any other vector right? 

kind of. Yes. If you know the secret
At first you won’t be able to edit the points or lines in the Vector Crop mask. But I discovered that if you select the Corner Tool, and then round any corner of the mask (And then un-round it again because you likely weren’t wanting to round the corner), suddenly the mask’s points become editable like any other vector shape. I do this dozens of times per session. 

Why?! Why should I be conducting this random and oblique method just to edit my vector crop mask? Haha. Please fix this!

-Noydis

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Noydis. :)

When you use the Corner Tool on a parametric shape and then ‘bake’ the corners, you’re effectively converting the parametric shape to curves. Instead of ‘abusing’ the Vector Crop Tool in this way, I suggest that you use the Rectangle Tool to draw a rectangle over the image that you want to crop. Having done that, convert the rectangle to curves, tweak it to your requirements, and then drag the new shape in the Layers Studio and drop it onto the thumbnail of the image.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Noydis said:

Why?! 

The instant you start to round a corner of the Rectangle mask, the Rectangle is converted to a Curve object.

2 hours ago, Noydis said:

Why should I be conducting this random and oblique method just to edit my vector crop mask?

You don't need to do that. Just select the Rectangle mask and press cmd+return (ctrl+enter on Windows) to apply the Convert To Curves command. Also, the context toolbar of many tools, such as Node Tool, has a Convert To Curves button.