You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placing an image inside an hourglass image

Your images are 'image ' layers not pixel layers so would need to be rasterised. Your hourglass does not have transparent background so I don’t think  it will work with those images. 😩

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

You have Affinity Photo for iPad, don’t you? It seems to me that APh would be a better choice than AD if you want to distort pixel layers.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Josie said:

I have APH for iPad also so how would I do this particular design with images in aph so that it works?

Like this.😀

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

@Josie, are you wanting the image to appear similar to the one shown by @DM1 above, or are you wanting it to be distorted to fit the hourglass shape?

If the latter, then you would need to use Filter > Distort > Equations (in Photo). You would need to describe the shape of your hourglass in some mathematical form such as sin(y)+ sin(2y). A simple sine shape would be too sharp, but I would guess that a combination of sin(y), sin(2y) etc would give you the required hourglass shape.

If this is the case, let me know and I could probably build something for you.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Not on iPad but here's quick example of one method that I'd use that could be done on iPad between designer and photo, you'd obviously need take a lot longer for useable results - also demonstrates adding a couple of lens distortions for a basic simulation of glass distortion - hope it helps  

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

@Josie, although I think that this could  be done using Equations in Photo, you might get faster results using the Liquify Persona in Photo. I would guess that you would be best create your hourglass-shaped image first and then use Designer to add the rest around it.

Here is the result of a few minutes play with the Push Forward Tool in the Liquefy Persona.

Hourglass.jpg.a2703587a3c3dd374e459ec3d24c7487.jpg

It obviously needs more work than I have put in!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

9 hours ago, Josie said:

I’ve got the images combined/together now I just need to figure out how to do the wavy part.

Untitled.afdesign 4.01 MB · 4 downloads

No wavy part needed unless you want the top part curved.  Just resize the star image to fill the hourglass like so.... If you want curvy,  rasterise the star layer, add a mask to it and select a brush to paint on the mask layer. Black to remove, white if you remove too much. Just make sure you select the mask layer before painting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

@Josie

Your latest document contains a Shutterstock image which has had the stock line cropped out of it, so I have removed it. We have advised you against using copyrighted images on these forums, and particularly of looking for ways to hide the rightful creators marks. I feel users should be made aware so they can decide if they want to assist you with this thread.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
1 hour ago, Josie said:

So how would I lessen the pixels in a commercial free image like this using the channel mixer?

@Josie, the Channel Mixer adjustment is designed to change the visual colour tone of your image, by using methods that other adjustments can't offer, as described here -

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Adjustments/adjustment_channelMixer.html?title=Channel Mixer adjustment

Unfortunately the Channel Mixer has nothing to do with the 'pixels' in your image, nor am I certain what you mean by 'lessen the pixels' using this adjustment.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Josie said:

So how would I lessen the pixels in a commercial free image like this using the channel mixer?

D91015BF-E4A6-49B0-8301-668A03CF7B55.jpeg

If you mean you want to achieve quantization (reducing the number of different colour values) apply a Posterize adjustment.

By the way, this question should probably be in its own thread. It seems completely unrelated to the original question about fitting an image into an hourglass shape.

Alfred spacer.png

If an image is to pixelated like this one how do I take the pixels out of the image to make it look less pixelated like let’s say if there is a saying with the image and so on or just the image itself? How do I do this using the iPad so it does not take me hours on end to figure out?

thanks

023462FA-AB6E-4710-939F-E8770F877A7A.jpeg

9E6613BD-E6E1-44AD-BE94-A18C91946A3A.jpeg

97EA2530-DBF1-4098-822F-AAFA51B09BA8.jpeg

B9DD2F64-19B3-44ED-A554-B934BA632B3B.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Josie said:

pixelated like this one

Like which one, Josie? All of those images look pretty smooth on my iPad Air 2.

Alfred spacer.png