You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I want to create a macro that applies the Mirror filter to an image in steps of 1 degree and saves out each angle from 1 to 360 degrees as a numbered image file.
1. The angle setting in a macro appears as rad not degrees, how do I change to degrees?
2. Is it possible to run a macro as a loop, increasing the mirror angle by one degree or 0.0174533rad per iteration?

Thanks

Hi,

so you want to save 360 files via looping a macro?

I don't think APh offers something to automatie this via macros (looping from 1 to 360 and file saves). Macros capabilities are generally pretty limited in APh! - So ...

1. You better take a look at ImageMagick here, which is much more predistinated for such tasks as using it for automation and a scripting tool then. Also look at the command overview and online help for that.
  2. Alternatively you can use Python for such automated scripting task too (see for example).
  3. Or combine both together, Python and ImageMagick calls inside some Python script.
  4. You can use ImageMagick also from inside other scripts (Unix shell scripts, Win PowerShell, ... etc.).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks v_kyr,
I do work with ImageMagick and PHP etc for a project that has many repetitive tasks.
But it is not worth writing such a routine for a one time task,
plus I already have the exact result I need from Mirrors in APh.

Perhaps it is possible to change the units from rad to degrees in the mirrors settings inside a macro?
That would make it A LOT easier to use a batch job on 360 identical images and type in the degree number for each image.

Best I can offer is a macro that applies the Mirror filter 1° at a time then duplicates the layer

Just run this 360 times ;-) and you'll have 360 layers 

Select all layers, go into Export persona and click the Create Slice button at the bottom of the layer panel

Export slices

Unfortuneately I don't know how to change 'slice' to soemething more useful

MirrorDuplicate.afmacro

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

David,
iterating your macro would use the last mirrored image as the origin for the next iteration.
What I need is applying a different angle always to the original image by increments of 1 degree.

If only I could change the angle units of the mirrors inside a macro to degrees . . .

1 hour ago, Udo Jansen said:

But it is not worth writing such a routine for a one time task,
plus I already have the exact result I need from Mirrors in APh.

Perhaps it is possible to change the units from rad to degrees in the mirrors settings inside a macro?
That would make it A LOT easier to use a batch job on 360 identical images and type in the degree number for each image.

Honestly, if you count the time you have already fiddled around with this in Affinity, you are 10x times faster and for sure already would have finished the job by setting up a batch script performing a simple loop of 1 to 360 doing an associated ImageMagick call!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2