You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colour palette file ».clr« not compatible with windows

Dear Serif team.

I created some colour palettes in Affinity Designer on MAC and the file is changed to ».clr«!?!?!

The format used to be different like ».afpalette« and workout fine and stable on MAC and WINDOWS.

Now I wanted to chair my colour palettes and my college can't open the ».clr« file on Windows!
I have no screenshot. Sorry for that.

What to do? 

Best greetings from Germany.
Anke Goldbach

Hi,

That seems strange, I Always have .afpalette files.

Are you sure about the export folder? Sometimes, files are saved in strange locations and we need to try to export again to find where they end up... searching in wrong folders and not  finding them, because we assumed the default export/save  location would be the same folder of the file we're working on, not a path used few days ago...

Could you upload this file for examination? And it seems to be that you are not the only one having this problem.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=clr

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

39 minutes ago, DAD said:

I used system colour palettes.

That is probably the cause. I think the .afpalette format is for document or application palettes, not system palettes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That is probably the cause. I think the .afpalette format is for document or application palettes, not system palettes.

So I should never use system colour palettes? But why is it existing then? This makes no sense.

I think that you need to consider the uses for your palettes when deciding how to use or create them. A System palette is usable only on Mac, because Windows does not have that concept.

Document and Application palettes in Affinity are Affinity-specific, and cross-system compatible because they are Affinity palettes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1