You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making a larger map with 2 pictures (Solved)

Well, since both screenshots don't have equally size dimensions ...

map1.jpg.668296068c2e04092d7866c07657a4c2.jpg

... you have to tricks a little bit with those here.

I added (covered) the missing white regions (and the bottom left only as half available area) with blue rectangles, so it looks like one map. - To place/overlay the two screenshots I made the top placed layer first slightly transparent (layer transparency), so I could arrange and see where to place over the other one. Afterwards grouped and changed the top layer's transparency back to full. Then I filled/covered the gaps with blue rects etc.

map_fake.thumb.png.587f19d3869d782e378b7f6a5c728215.png

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, Jon1 said:

... I don't know how to place these 2 pictures

First inspect (from both screenshots) their width x height sizes in pixels ...

• 1206 x 957 Pixel at 96 dpi
  • 1015 x 1066 Pixel at 96 dpi

... as you can see they are different. Now take the longest width 1206 pixels and sum the heights (957 + 1066) = 2023 pixels.

• Create a new document with width x height of 1206 x 2023 pixels at 96 dpi.
  • Place/load in both images in that same new created document (File > Place ...)
  • Now lower the layer transparency of one image, so you can look through and arrange/position it exactly on the other where you want.
  • If placed correctly change the layer transparency of the one image back to full.
  • Lock the image layers in the layers panel, so they don't accidently remove from the position and group them together.
  • Place rectangles to fill the white gaps with the blue color of the map.
  • Combine all layers to one if you want and crop the whole to remove white unsused bottom document areas.
  • Save and export to the bitmap format you need.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

My approach is to set a pair of guides over a common place in the lower image
Then add the upper image and switch blend mode to difference
Move the upper image as close as possible with the mouse
Final alignment using the cursor keys until the overlap turns black
Blend mode to normal
Unclip canvas
Merge down upper layer

Map.afphoto

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Difference will turn it black, exclusion works. < Note to self read slower, as Ken Goodwin says “My mum says she wrote this letter slowly because she’s knows I can’t read fast"

But simply picking a point on the map like the Isle of Arran, zooming in and aligning will get bang on results with these two sections of the map, a quick off/on with the layer will confirm ninja like precision. 🖖

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

14 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Difference will turn it black, exclusion works.

Yep but I find difference to be preferable, we don't all have ninja eyes ;-) 

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

6 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

Yep but I find difference to be preferable, we don't all have ninja eyes ;-) 

I misread your instructions, I see how difference works now, the closer you are to aligning the blacker the overlap becomes, cool trick, I’m off to do some text strike-throughing lol.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

17 minutes ago, Jon1 said:

How do I place rectangles with the same blue color ?

1. Erase the white areas.
  2. Use the Colour Picker tool to select a suitable blue background colour.
  3. Create a new Fill Layer (Layer > New Fill Layer). This will be created using the selected colour as a layer on top of the stack.
  4. Drag this fill layer to the bottom of the stack.
  5. The blue background should now show through. 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Look at your Layers panel. You must ensure that you have the (Grouped) Layers with your maps selected, not the Fill layer. I have fallen into this trap many times myself!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Or just draw a rectangle over that white area with the right fill color set (grab the color with color picker). - You can download and open the Affinity Photo file from my first posting, in order to see how simple it is to do that.

@Jon1 Create rectangles to cover the white and for the rectangles fill use the colour picker on the colour tab to sample the blue of the sea, once you have the white hidden you can crop the image and and export it flattened to a single layer.

Why don't you do it the way I told you? - Afterwards (not shown in video), if you want though not needed to save/export, you can select all layers in the layers panel and merge them together into one layer.

In case you want to merge all visable layers together, select all layers in the layers panel. Next I used the top menu entry from the "layers menu" (Layers > Merge visable layers), instead/alternative you can also use the "Layers panel" context menu entry here (right click in the layers panel and select the "Merge visable layers" entry). That will generate and place a new layer at the top of the layers panel with all visable layers combined together. You can then hide or delete the single object layers beneath that one.