You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dealing with gradients in masks is a well known nighmare in Affinity. If one needs a mask that fades from white to black on both sides you either have to define a more complex gradient structure (what itself is a "pain in th a*** " since AP keeps forgetting all settings instantly ... or is it "deliberately" ... sorry - "by design" of course). Certainly if you need this kind of gadient more often. Thankfully the gradient resets to a default setting that for sure no one ever will be able to use - so we can be sure each time you need a gradient, extra effort is involved.

Or you have to merge 2 seperate masks into one - what is a quite "non-intuitive" task as well ...

If at least the gradient itself would be kept "editable" in the mask ... but it is simply converted into a bitmap and forgotten as well. Seems to be a major Affinity handicap: it keeps forgetting nearly everything ...  it's a bit like having a Cray computer at home with 2KB memory

How do you solve these "challenges"? Has anyone a good idea for a practical workaround with regards to the mask?
This is what I need ... (involves adding 2 more anchorpoints to the gradient setup ...changing the colour of 3 of these anchorpoints and refining the position of the anchorpoints and the 50% setting inbetween of all anchorpoints).

Cheers, Timo

mask.jpg.4b5fd9a529e10c3fda36c6b2c13542b6.jpg

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

Hi Timo,

i fully share your frustration about masks being second class citizens in Affinity, but dislike your way to express it which feels a bit aggressive to me.

i would suggest to use vector shapes or fill layers and gradients when possible. In contrast to masks, they remember  gradient settings and can be re-edited. In many cases, they can be used as full replacement for masks. In other cases where you really need to continue with a mask, just copy, and rasterize to mask, and preserve the (unselected) vector as option to re-start later. 

Second, you could create swatches for gradients, so you can always have a prepared starting point instead green field. 

After using Affinity for about 2 years i learned to find good workflows where i initially struggled  badly with the UI before. At least, Affinity remains constant so you do not need to relearn with every new release. 

Best, Timo (another one ;-)

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I love the way you can have multiple masks and multiple objects (both raster and raster) which make up a mask - loads of power when used with blend ranges and layer effects - not really a fan of bog standard layer masks in Affinity - as an alternative to a standard layer mask, I prefer to make a selection then refine then create a new pixel layer and fill the refined selection with a colour then use that as a mask plus combine it with vectors

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

49 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

i would suggest to use vector shapes or fill layers and gradients when possible. In contrast to masks, they remember  gradient settings and can be re-edited. In many cases, they can be used as full replacement for masks. In other cases where you really need to continue with a mask, just copy, and rasterize to mask, and preserve the (unselected) vector as option to re-start later. 

Thankyou for this.  It is a great tip that I never realised.  

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

5 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

but dislike your way to express it which feels a bit aggressive to me.

Ah, dont worry, pure desperation since I've been picking on these topics now for some years and it just gets ignored ... I'm german - we are selfish and lack the british politeness ... that's nothing to worry about ... just a typical german rant. Most of us suffer from social and emotional disabilities ...  We don't talk around the bush - regardless ... that's why few of us have any friends. We learned to live with it ... don't shout me a beer! ;-)

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

5 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Would you be so kind (I'm working on my politeness!) to explain how to use a vector shape as a mask - without or with making it a mask? ... (I briefly mentioned the gradation problems above)  - aside the shown example the gradation is not necessarily left an right and can be covered with one edited gradation setting - but may also be to the left and the bottom ...

Cheers, Timo

Hi Timo, 

see file attached.

Just a fill layer to show the masking effect of a vector layer with a gradient. 
The trick for the gradient is to use opacity instead (or in combination with) with color. 
You can adjust the gradient at any time.
Grüsse aus Hamburg. 

Untitled_6.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thanks!

Took me a while to figure it out ... but it's helpful since the gradient is not lost. As well I can copy a more complex gradient now and don't have to enter it over and over again. Another workarouind on the list ;-)

Grüße aus München ;-)

• 1 month later...