You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is everyone using as an alternative to Photoshop Bridge?  I have canceled my Photoshop subscription but have to the end of month to find an alternative to Bridge.  I am just a normal user, not a pro so I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a program, but yet I need a good program that can do extended searches that can be narrowed down to a specific keyword or subject.

I downloaded the trial version of Lyn.  This is what I didn't find - unless other people would like to know before they also download it.

(a) only will show size of image if you do a sort .  It won't show my external drive images  © won't preview in viewer any Affinity images formats (d) no import feature  (e) no resizing feature.  I stopped there- it is too feature-less for my use.

I downloaded the trial version of Lyn.  This is what I didn't find - unless other people would like to know before they also download it.

(a) only will show size of image if you do a sort .  It won't show my external drive images  © won't preview in viewer any Affinity images formats (d) no import feature  (e) no resizing feature.  I stopped there- it is too feature-less for my use.

what BS  !  sometimes it helps to read the manual first before judging a software !  

to my knowledge there is still no  3. party  software available which can read .aphoto files 

lyn does have an import feature

lyn does read files stored on an external drives

but bridge does not resize without  photoshop so resize is not a bridge feature

for 20 $  it is quite nice app with a lot of features ! 

I use Photoline's Browse function as an alternative to Bridge. It's a bit clunky in places, but has all the power of Photoline behind it, including actions. And the browse function can send image files to external apps, so it works well together with Affinity. Batch processing is also supported. Once the images are indexed, thumbnail preview is lightning fast.

www.pl32.com

It might be a bit overkill, though, to install an alternative image editor just for its browse functionality.

What about Picasa?

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.  I decided on On1 Perfect Photo Suite and I couldn't be happier.  It does everything I could have ever wanted - in actuality it functions as a mini-version of Ps, I can re-touch, use special effects, and re-size to my hearts content.  They have a wonderful customer service and answered my questions promptly (email) and even more, were very friendly and out-going.  It doesn't handle Affinity Image format and On1 said they don't plan to do that in the near future - but I always save my work as a jpeg anyway so it shows up in On1 just fine.

Mbd........I got the 9.5 and with that you get the 10 included in late fall.  Its so cheap at $90 compared to anything else that can do all these things that I thought it a deal.  Because I am new to Perfect Photo I thought it a nice touch to include a video series to move you along quickly in assimilating the program.

I also have Ps; so I do several things when working with Affinity.  Sometimes I save it as a psd. in Affinity so I can finish the graphic off in Ps with effects that Affinity is currently missing.  But if you save the Affinity as a jpeg  and an Affinity file then you have something you can work with in Perfect Photo for small changes - or in my case I just use Perfect Photo now for small changes to a image that doesn't require a major over-working, addition or subtraction which would otherwise have to be done in Affinity or Ps.  

So for my purposes, yes, I can use this program now for external editing.

I didn't know there was a MAS version of Perfect Photo so I assume that would come in 9---but purchased versions will be 9.5 and 10. Also, do read about the upgrades in 10 for they are significant-and as all programs do now, significant upgrades often require an upgrade fee.  I did notice however that they are offering that upgrade for free (to 10) to some users.  

By the way customer support is very prompt and detailed in response to email questions - even when you haven't bought the program yet which I found refreshing to say the least.  I asked them to give me details about the sizing options and they did so within a day.  Then On1 sends you a Survey to ask how their techs did - so I'd say that its nice to know you can depend on them for actual support.  And the techs obviously speak English so you actually get replies that make sense and are knowledgable about their programs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

GC is an old school app, made to deal with any kind of format (vector and raster), highly integrated with OSX, but doesn't cover the workflow needs of a photographer. It is more a swiss knife for digital imaging, particularly useful for complex batch operations (eg. remove add/alpha from a group of pictures or direct palette manipulations, cross format conversions etc...).

I've been hating Bridge since first release, never loved Lightroom (and Camera RAW) for its poor demosaicing algorithm.

I'm an old Apple Aperture user, and still don't understand the reason why Apple downgraded to Photo..

Ok for the open architecture, but the file management in Aperture was the state of art.

In the mean time I'm using GC to browse my photos too.

The Affinity DAM is a terrific piece of news.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

• 1 month later...