You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to find Key

I was an early adopter of AP and an active participant in the User Forum (ID billtils) but for reasons that were not directly related to the program have not used it since 1.7   Things have changed (including my computers) and all attempts to update to 1.8 have failed - the MAS doesn't recognise me and there is no autoupdate option when I open 1,7.  I have downloaded 1.8 but it requires a key and I can't find it and all attempts to resolve this from the user forum have failed.  I have been able to login to the user forum (as billtils) and to my Affinity account (billtils@mac.com) but AP itself does not show up in the downloads history.

Can you please tell me what to do!

Thanks

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

• Staff
If you purchased through the Mac App Store, open the Mac App Store App and go to the Updates page. If the updates are not showing, go to Store > Reload page. This should hopefully force the updates to show. 

if you are trying to update one of our iPad apps, open the App Store app and go to the Updates page. If the updates are not showing, tap near the top of the screen where it states 'Updates' and then hold and pull down, then release. This should manually refresh the updates page. 

For purchases made directly through our own Store, your Affinity App it will check for updates when opened and it should offer you the latest update. 

Finally for Windows Store purchases click the three dots in the top right corner of the app and then go to Downloads and updates. Click Get Updates. The updates should then appear.

You would need to sign in to the MAS using the same Apple ID and password you used on your old computer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

One thing I have had to do on occasion is sign out of the store and then sign in again.

Then there is the nuclear option. Delete the app and you should be able to download it again from the Mac App Store, again with the sign in/out step.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

(Sorry - the "I did" is in reply to walt).

Bruce - the nuclear option looks more attractive by the day.  I've got 13 days left on my free trial so may try some conventional warfare first.

43 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You would need to sign in to the MAS using the same Apple ID and password you used on your old computer.

Walt, trouble is my Apple ID is the same but not the password and I don't have a record of it that far back.

21 minutes ago, billtils said:

Walt, trouble is my Apple ID is the same but not the password and I don't have a record of it that far back.

The password shouldn't matter, though. As long as you can login to the same Apple ID, Apple should have a record of the purchase, and allow the update. Perhaps contact MAS support?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The password shouldn't matter, though. As long as you can login to the same Apple ID, Apple should have a record of the purchase, and allow the update. Perhaps contact MAS support?

Thanks Will - yes your are correct. I was able to check purchases back to 2011 and AP is not amongt them which confirms my belief that it was a direct purchase from Affinity.  Trouble is it doesn't show when I log to my account there.

• Staff

If your software does not have the "Check for updates" as the 2nd option in the "Affinity Photo" menu, then it was not bought from the Affinity Store so is from the Mac App Store. Also if you were an "early adopter" we have had our own store since November 2016, purchases before then were certainly not on the Affinity Store. (I can see the date you joined the forums was Feb 2015, which was during the beta phase before Affinity Photo was launched on the Mac App Store in July 2015) Finally there is only one user on our store with your surname, so it doesn't seem to be bought under another email address in your name.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

16 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

If your software does not have the "Check for updates" as the 2nd option in the "Affinity Photo" menu, then it was not bought from the Affinity Store so is from the Mac App Store. Also if you were an "early adopter" we have had our own store since November 2016, purchases before then were certainly not on the Affinity Store. (I can see the date you joined the forums was Feb 2015, which was during the beta phase before Affinity Photo was launched on the Mac App Store in July 2015) Finally there is only one user on our store with your surname, so it doesn't seem to be bought under another email address in your name.

Patrick,

Many thanks for this response. 

I suspect that the pre-launch beta phase involvement may be the problem as, if my memory serves me correctly (which it may not - it was more than 5 years ago) the beta test group got a big "thank you" from Affinity in the form of a free upgrade from the GM to the official release, and that is why there is no record of a purchase in my AP account.  I am certain that the MAS search is correct in that one thing I do recall is advising friends to buy direct from Affinity because of the free trial period.   That leaves the question of why the history of upgrades that has come to a halt?   Perhaps the auto-upgrade is only active for consecutive versions?   One complicating issue is that I had a severe disc corruption about 18 months ago and have not been able to rebuild a complete version history.

I'll keep exploring but if all else fails will just buy the current release when the trial period ends.