You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apple ProRAW images are overexposed

Generally a ProRaw image does not look like the little jpeg preview when you open it in a raw engine. It is soft and does have dark areas where there was darkness but a ton of info is in there waiting to be pulled out. We get a lot more control doing that with third party raw editing apps like Affinity photo. When I open in Raw Power the preview is nothing like the ProRaw file in preview  but I can extract an amazing amount of information from shadows that would be lost with a jpeg.  Affinity photo for iPad just needs a little update for 14.3.

2 minutes ago, cathcarter said:

I have worked with raw images for more than 20 years.. here I am simply reporting my experience. I agree that it will only take an update. Affinity .. when is this update coming?

Same here.  Been using RAW with Nikon cameras for several years now.  Very excited about what Apple has done on the latest iPhone and ProRAW.  It opens up a whole new range of possibilities, all while fitting in your pocket.  :)

Yes, I’ve worked with raw files for decades too but only one day with ProRaw files. New things are coming to light pretty fast.

I’m not disputing high end cameras though. I’ve had a few and was fanatical about them at one time.  I no longer need them for my career and appreciate the ultralight capabilities of the flagship iPhones for my hiking pursuits these days. 

I’ll,add that I’m now, this morning shooting with the ProCamera iOS app, an app I’ve shot raw iPhone images for three years now. They added ProRaw support this morning with full manual and semi automatic control that one does not have in the native Apple camera app. It seems to work well with some limitations that might be ruled by ProRaw. So far I’m pretty blown away with the performance. I like a very low iso so much less noise reduction needed preserving more fine detail. 

• 1 month later...

25/01 and the same issue with apple pro raw, i really love Affinity the problem is the support of new product i understand that they don t have the same power than Adobe but for Cr3 de canon i almost wait 2 years to get it. i hope it will be faster because there is more iphone user than canon user. For the moment i ve tried many solution to raw edit apple pro raw 

Pixelmator apple pro compatibility but not good in recovering  Highlight and shadow 

darkroom + rawpower apple pro compatibility but the worst in recovering  Highlight and shadow washing machine effect

Lightroom it s ok but over expose the final result is ok 

For the moment best workflow for me is editing in photo app apple + polarr for color simple editing and affinity for more important edit

i would love to have a better i mean complete raw edit in affinity but for the moment i miss a lot of thing in the develop personna.

In 1.8, Affinity Photo on the iPad uses Apple's RAW engine for all RAW processing. Doesn't this indicate that Apple needs to do an update, not Serif?

(Note that in 1.9, in Affinity Photo on the iPad, you will have a choice between using Apple's engine and Serif's engine. That's available for beta testing now, I think. Might be interesting to try it there and see if it's better.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

38 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In 1.8, Affinity Photo on the iPad uses Apple's RAW engine for all RAW processing. Doesn't this indicate that Apple needs to do an update, not Serif?

(Note that in 1.9, in Affinity Photo on the iPad, you will have a choice between using Apple's engine and Serif's engine. That's available for beta testing now, I think. Might be interesting to try it there and see if it's better.)

Every other app that is now working well with the new ProRaw format has had to update their apps to utilize the new Apple algorithms so it’s not a far stretch to think that Affinity needs to do the same. None of those other apps worked until they did the update process themselves. New proprietary Apple tools and algorithms appeared only with the update for iOS 14.3, something none of them had prior even with my iPhone and iPad updated to 14.3. Looks like a necessary in app update.

3 hours ago, Bardanis said:

i ve just tried it and i suppose its a little bit buggy the slider highlight dosnt change almost anything 

It would be good to post that info in the Photo beta forum (with a little more detail🙂) so Devs can check it out before it goes into release. 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...