You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create retina images along with normal ones?

Hi,

How should I create the document so when I export using the 1x and 2x options I get a normal image and a retina optimized image?

If my document is to be 200x200 should I create it 200x200 @144 dpi or 400x400 @72 dpi?

I tried a couple of settings but I cannot manage to get what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

• Staff

You ideally want to be making a 200 x 200 point document (not pixels) and setting 144 dpi. Now when you use the Export Persona make sure you've got the export set for 1x and 2x and now all your resources will go out with 1x and 2x versions with the correct number of pixels and dpi set in the files :)

Hope that helps - it's how we created the assets for the program itself and it's what Xcode expects when you drop the assets in :)

Matt

• 2 months later...

Working at 144 DPI would make sense (and the presents for Retina iOS devices default to 144 DPI) but it has the side-effect of making the "Pixel View Mode" preview @2x and "Retina Pixel View Mode" @3x. This isn't what we would expect. When designing for iOS/Mac, we would expect "Pixel View Mode" to render at @1x (i.e. 1 pt = 1 px) and "Retina Pixel View Mode" at @2x (i.e. 1 pt = 2 px).

It therefore makes more sense to set the DPI to 72. Slices are exported correctly (i.e. correct scaling and DPI setting in the file's metadata) for @1x (72 DPI), @2x (144 DPI) and @3x (216 DPI), and the "Pixel View Mode" and "Retina Pixel View Mode" render at @1x and @2x as one would expect.

Can someone from Serif comment on this?

• 7 years later...
On 11/30/2015 at 3:49 PM, MattP said:

We actually noticed this bug the other day and I will get it fixed asap - it obviously should be showing you the output you'll generate and is incorrect at present :(

It's still a problem 8 years later. Social media templates set to 144 dpi export to 50% pixel size. Any comments?