You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen Tool: Sharp Corner after First Curve

My apologies in advance since there's likely an easy answer to my question, but I can't find it if there is!

Using the Pen tool, how do I insert a sharp corner after only one curve?

If you check out the first image file I uploaded, I'm trying to figure out how to insert a straight line immediately after inserting a curve.

• Often, I only need to insert a single curved point followed immediately by a sharp corner, but I only seem to be able to 2 curves consecutively
  • Then I'm able to insert a straight line, but that's not what the design calls for. 
  • Sometimes I can insert a new node immediately after the first curve, but doesn't always produce the result I'm looking for.

Hopefully I've explained my question well enough, but please let me know if I can clarify anything.

Thanks in advance!

img01.jpg

img02.jpg

On Mac it’s Control as you add nodes.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, Chris26 said:

On windows after inserting a corner curve, just go to your next position and simply CLICK, do not click and drag, a straight line is then given.  Then if you wish to insert a curve node just click and drag at the next position.  Alternatively you can convert a curve point into a corner by simply once clicking on that curve node, it will then turn into a corner node.  If you hold CTRL while still in pen mode,you can refine and adjust any node or line acording to desire.  Then let go of CTRL and you can continue without interupting the drawing process.

@Chris26 In the second image from my original post, that's what happens when I simply CLICK after the first curve. The next click after that results in a straight line, however, but that's not what I want to do.  

Also, if I press CTRL and then left click, it behaves the same way that ESC does, which is to terminate the curve and start a new one. I've tried everything that I can think of, but nothing seems to work the way I would like it to. CTRL doesn't actually seem to offer many options as a modifier for me. I've even tried Reset Studio to see if I had something misconfigured. 

Thanks for the reply, tho! I appreciate the effort.😀 

32 minutes ago, Realto said:

@Chris26 In the second image from my original post, that's what happens when I simply CLICK after the first curve. The next click after that results in a straight line, however, but that's not what I want to do.  

Also, if I press CTRL and then left click, it behaves the same way that ESC does, which is to terminate the curve and start a new one. I've tried everything that I can think of, but nothing seems to work the way I would like it to. CTRL doesn't actually seem to offer many options as a modifier for me. I've even tried Reset Studio to see if I had something misconfigured. 

Thanks for the reply, tho! I appreciate the effort.😀 

In the video I just need to know if this is what you are looking for?

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

@Chris26 That's close, but not exactly what I'm looking for.  

• What I really want is for the second segment (see first included screenshot in the yellow highlighted section) to be a straight line. 
  • It works ok in your example, because the curve is gradual., so the second segment is pretty close to flat  
  • But in my second screenshot, when the curve not as gradual, then the second segment is not flat at all.
  • ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
  • I found out that if you click on the second node (after the first curve), you can accomplish exactly what I want to do. However, clicking on that node requires a lot of precision and my hand starts to cramp when I'm working on a detailed pen segment.
  • What would be ideal is if there was a keyboard shortcut for the Convert to Curve(s) command, but I haven't been able to figure out how to assign a keyboard shortcut to it because I can't find the command where it can be assigned.
  • I'm thinking that I may be able to record it as a Macro, which would be perfectly acceptable. I realize that I would have to purchase Affinity Publisher since Macros are not available in Designer. But if that would work, it would be worth the investment. Would that work?

Thanks again for your assistance in this matter. Very much appreciated!

img03.jpg

img04.jpg

54 minutes ago, Realto said:

What would be ideal is if there was a keyboard shortcut for the Convert to Curve(s) command, but I haven't been able to figure out how to assign a keyboard shortcut to it because I can't find the command where it can be assigned.

The convert to curves is found under LAYER. So this is where it s under the preferences > Keyboard shortcuts.

Capture.PNG.3ed708e0ce3597682d9cc7323fd1d26e.PNG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

56 minutes ago, Realto said:

But in my second screenshot, when the curve not as gradual, then the second segment is not flat at all.

First of all I do not see yellow in your screenshots.😐

As for this, I just hold down the shift key and straighten that bit out, no matter how sharp that curve is I use shift and I can get a straight line.  and if you are using a pen tablet then I will assume that modifier keys must be working differently for this?   SORRY, I should have said CTRL + SHIFT and then move the node.

@Chris26 Touché! It's yellow before all the opacity is applied, but you are indeed correct!

I really thought you had solved it this time, but there are a still a few roadblocks:

• The Layer > Convert to Curves command is actually "grayed out" and unavailable from the menu when I'm using the Pen tool.  

image.png.660536829346b28d0fb435c671a0e6e2.png

• Is there a way to make it so it's available?
  • If not, you can assign a mouse command to a Macro, right? Would that work if I had Publisher, as well?
  • Also, I see your point about holding down SHIFT to make the next line reasonably straight. However, that only works if the next point is 0°, 45° or 90°, and that doesn't happen very often.

Just now, Realto said:

@Chris26 Touché! It's yellow before all the opacity is applied, but you are indeed correct!

I really thought you had solved it this time, but there are a still a few roadblocks:

• The Layer > Convert to Curves command is actually "grayed out" and unavailable from the menu when I'm using the Pen tool.  

image.png.660536829346b28d0fb435c671a0e6e2.png

• Is there a way to make it so it's available?
  • If not, you can assign a mouse command to a Macro, right? Would that work if I had Publisher, as well?
  • Also, I see your point about holding down SHIFT to make the next line reasonably straight. However, that only works if the next point is 0°, 45° or 90°, and that doesn't happen very often.

This thread has become quite surreal. There definitely are yellow highlighting rectangles in your screenshots!

Only an object that is not just a Curve or Curves can be converted to a Curve or Curves.

The Convert To Curves command isn't designed to straighten curved segments of paths, anyway, so what were you hoping to achieve by using that command?

@anon2 Hopefully, my explanation makes sense and my terminology is correct:

• Currently, using the Pen tool, when you click and drag to make a curve, that has to be followed by a second  curve. Then the third click will Convert to Sharp if you don't specifically make it a curve.. 
  • However, if you click on the last node of the first curve, that Converts to Sharp, so you can create a single curve without a second curve. That second, mandatory curve is what I'm trying to avoid in this example, because it happens quite frequently. I want to be able to accomplish this without having to click on the last node because that's such a precision click that my hand starts to cramp after extended Pen tool usage.

Make sense?

1 minute ago, Realto said:

@anon2 Hopefully, my explanation makes sense and my terminology is correct:

• Currently, using the Pen tool, when you click and drag to make a curve, that has to be followed by a second  curve. Then the third click will Convert to Sharp if you don't specifically make it a curve.. 
  • However, if you click on the last node of the first curve, that Converts to Sharp, so you can create a single curve without a second curve. That second, mandatory curve is what I'm trying to avoid in this example, because it happens quite frequently. I want to be able to accomplish this without having to click on the last node because that's such a precision click that my hand starts to cramp after extended Pen tool usage.

Make sense?

Yes, that makes sense. The Convert To Curves command is not designed to do anything that is applicable to that problem situation, hence my question.

The method that works for me is the one stated earlier by @firstdefence and @prophet: use the ctrl key. I am using a Mac, so a different key combination may be necessary on Windows. The status bar at the bottom of the app window provides hints about modifier keys and clicking combinations when a tool is active.

The Convert To Curves command isn't designed to straighten curved segments of paths, anyway, so what were you hoping to achieve by using that command?

I don't want to straighten out a curved segment of paths, I just want to make the next node Sharp after a single Curve. I can accomplish that now by clicking on the end node of the first Curve, but I would prefer to be able to do the same thing with a Keyboard Shortcut, since that would be easier than actually having to click on the node.

The method that works for me is the one stated earlier by @firstdefence and @prophet: use the ctrl key. 

The CTRL key doesn't help in this case for my needs. CTRL causes the current curve to end and the next click starts a new curve.

I think I'm going to purchase Publisher and see if I can use the Macro functionality to accomplish my goal.

Thanks everyone for all your help! 

I think I know what my options are; I just need to figure out the best solution.

25 minutes ago, Realto said:

However, if you click on the last node of the first curve, that Converts to Sharp, so you can create a single curve without a second curve. That second, mandatory curve is what I'm trying to avoid in this example, because it happens quite frequently.

If I understand you correctly you want to stop after drawing the first line segment (?). Use the ESC key (on Macs) to stop there without further clicking or node generation. In order to draw straight line I use the SHIFT key on MacOS.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 minutes ago, Realto said:

I think I'm going to purchase Publisher and see if I can use the Macro functionality to accomplish my goal.

Publisher & Macros? You need to have Affinity Photo too then, since that one initially supports macros!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

2 hours ago, Realto said:

@v_kyr No, that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to replace having to click on the node that I want to convert manually and do it with a Keyboard Shortcut. See video.

Ah Ok, I see now, you want to change the node type quickly via a shortcut then. Sadly there isn't already a direct one for the pen tool, which maybe would make sense to have.

27 minutes ago, prophet said:

...I can achieve what you want by holding down CTRL while clicking to create the second node.

That's right, when continious drawing, holding the Ctrl key down converts to a sharp node type straight line (at least on Macs).

On 12/15/2020 at 6:40 AM, Realto said:

My apologies in advance since there's likely an easy answer to my question, but I can't find it if there is!

Using the Pen tool, how do I insert a sharp corner after only one curve?

If you check out the first image file I uploaded, I'm trying to figure out how to insert a straight line immediately after inserting a curve.

• Often, I only need to insert a single curved point followed immediately by a sharp corner, but I only seem to be able to 2 curves consecutively
  • Then I'm able to insert a straight line, but that's not what the design calls for. 
  • Sometimes I can insert a new node immediately after the first curve, but doesn't always produce the result I'm looking for.

Hopefully I've explained my question well enough, but please let me know if I can clarify anything.

Thanks in advance!

img01.jpg

img02.jpg

This thread is a long and confusing mac-windows read, so here are just some observations from my machine:

Designer for Windows - Windows shortcuts

• Draw line with pen tool (using mouse) and:
  • Pen tool makes sharp nodes by default - click and holding starts drawing curve and switches to smooth nodes
  • Holding shift then clicking creates a straight line but constrained to angles of 45 degrees
  • Left clicking, dragging and then right clicking simultaneously creates a straight line you can position freely - release the left button first to place the node
  • CTRL switches (while pressed) to node tool and now you can convert smooth nodes to sharp nodes holding down CTRL + alt and clicking on smooth nodes
  • While using the pen tool to draw a curve double clicking a node stops the editing of the active curve/layer and a new curve is created
  • Shift + CTRL actives selection mode - no go

Not sure these shortcuts are great for physical pen users - holding down both mouse buttons on a mouse causes muscle strain and is ork like clumsy.

Controlling node types on the go is weak or non existent with the pen tool and pretty much toolbar-only with the node tool; except for alt-clicking smooth nodes to convert them to sharp nodes (should be a toggle type).

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

12 hours ago, Realto said:

I'm trying to replace having to click on the node that I want to convert manually and do it with a Keyboard Shortcut. See video.

[video]

I recommended you look at the status bar at bottom of the app window. Your video shows the bar telling you to use the right mouse button on Windows where we use ctrl key on macOS.  

1507957262_screenshotpenwindows.thumb.png.a73e241b266bcf8bdba6899112564b05.png

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so after much trial and tribulation, there IS a way to do this in Windows:

When you want to create a straight line (at the spot you want to create it):

1) Press and hold the Left mouse button
2) Press the hold the Right mouse button
3) Release the Left mouse button
4) Release the Right mouse button

After you get used to this series of actions, you can roll the two buttons quickly together and achieve the same effect.

Then, queue your favorite version of Hallelujah, observe a fitting moment of silence and get on with your life!

Again, my apologies to the posters who tried to help me arrive at this solution much earlier, but I was too obtuse...

(Attn moderator: if you want to move this up to the top of the thread so more people see it, I wholeheartedly support that decision.)