You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A.Photo : Honestly I only want to move the selection marquee

This simply is not working at all for me.  This is so easy in Photoshop, I simply wish to use the marquee tool as shown below, and re-size it for the pizza.  It's a nightmare.😖

I have tried copying it, cutting, frying and baking, and I have tried a new pixel layer...........

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

So, are you saying that the Quick Mask solution worked for you? (Basically, that you had 2 topics about the same issue, and now it is resolved?)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I was initially puzzled by the large rectangular bounding box, but I think you’re complicating the issue by working on an embedded document. Your video clip also shows you clicking on the ‘Refine...’ button instead of ‘Quick Mask’.

You should be able to simplify the entire operation by starting your selection drag from the correct place: instead of clicking on the edge of the pizza, position the cursor level with the top and left edges of the pizza and then click ’n’ drag from there. Better still, use the Ellipse Tool, adjust it to fit neatly around the pizza, and only convert it to a selection once you’re happy with its size and shape.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

26 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

So, are you saying that the Quick Mask solution worked for you? (Basically, that you had 2 topics about the same issue, and now it is resolved?)

I was clicking on refine mask, constantly.......Ugh

16 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I was initially puzzled by the large rectangular bounding box, but I think you’re complicating the issue by working on an embedded document. Your video clip also shows you clicking on the ‘Refine...’ button instead of ‘Quick Mask’.

You should be able to simplify the entire operation by starting your selection drag from the correct place: instead of clicking on the edge of the pizza, position the cursor level with the top and left edges of the pizza and then click ’n’ drag from there. Better still, use the Ellipse Tool, adjust it to fit neatly around the pizza, and only convert it to a selection once you’re happy with its size and shape.

That was it QUICK mask, I kept on mistaking Gary's click for refine mask......Oh, I was using the elipse tool by the way and it is almost impossible to click acurately when you use the this type of selection tool, that is why holding down the spacebar while moving the selection into place was such a blessing in photoshop.  

11 minutes ago, haakoo said:

First open the embedded file in a new tab by double clicking it on canvas or the thumbnail in the layers tab.
Now use the circle selection tool + quickmask approach.
You can make a selection but it will not refine or select anything real because its an embedded file.
It will simply copy the the complete embedded file to a new layer like an image layer does

Yes I only need to seelct and put it onto a new layer, so this works for me.  And as I have said above, I feel stupid constantly clicking away at refine mask instead of quick mask.  Now I'm embarrassed.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

8 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

First open the embedded file

This is driving me insane, really, why is it so complexed.  What is this embedded file?  I double clicked on it, it just duplicates it.  I placed and I opened, 2 seperate methods and still I can not copy the selection to a new layer.  Seriously, this is so easy and straightforward in photoshop.  Sometimes with affinity's operations I feel they have an upside down way of programming intuitively.  I should just be able to load an image, select wht I need onto a new layer and bobs your uncle, a 10 second job.  But no, I have to burden the forum with the most basic of operational questions.  

48 minutes ago, Alfred said:

and only convert it to a selection

What, may I ask, is this?  Surley it is selected by the mere fact that you have selected it.  How do I  convert a selected object to a selection?  This is so ridiculous.

EDIT:  this is stupid.  How on earth do I prevent a document from loading as an embedded document, for goodness sake it is a bloody image, pixels.  All pixels.  What the hell is affinity doing here?  It is insane. 

THIS IS EXACTLY HOW EASY IT SHOULD BE. 

16 minutes ago, haakoo said:

click rasterise>make selection>quick mask>movetool or refine

Oh Thankyou Haakoo, thankyou thankyou thankyou.....and finally thankyou......please allow me one more gripe just to state the obvious:  Why has affinity Photo, designed for photogaphers, deemed it so that a raster image needs to be rasterised?  You don't have to answer - it's rhetorical. How idiotic of me not to realise that.  well now my pizza is cold......😊

19 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

What, may I ask, is this?  Surley it is selected by the mere fact that you have selected it.  How do I  convert a selected object to a selection?

When you use the Ellipse Tool (not the Elliptical Selection Tool) you get a shape. Although it’s selected (i.e. a bounding box is displayed) it doesn’t have the ‘marching ants’ outline that you need here. If you switch to the PenTool you’ll see a ‘Selection’ button on the Context toolbar, and pressing that will give you the aforementioned ‘marching ants’ outline.

Alfred spacer.png

As @Chris26 mentioned - easy peasy in Adobe Photoshop - just resize (or move) the selection like any other object:

image.png.99615f803c4362b2c994ac5b2e91e62e.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

r/ProgrammerHumor - Workaround

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, Chris26 said:

Oh, I was using the elipse tool by the way and it is almost impossible to click acurately when you use the this type of selection tool, t

Your video shows you using the Elliptical Marquee Tool to make a selection, not the Ellipse Tool to make a vector shape as Alfred suggested.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Your video shows you using the Elliptical Marquee Tool to make a selection, not the Ellipse Tool to make a vector shape as Alfred suggested.

Hi there Walt, you're like my schoolmaster, walking silently behind me with a cane swishing majestically through the air in an  eerily innocent movement as it disturbs the otherwise peaceful air molecules to remind me of my careless use of terminology, for that I apologise, simply and with humility.  I did actually mean eliptical marquee tool, as I was so focused on my pizza getting cold and its wonderful shape, that my focus shifted to speed typing as I was in mental agony of the non rasterised raster embedded non raster photographic image that was eluding my creative selection editing skills on this cold and wintry evening.

Too tired to read this thread from a to z, but @Chris26 did you find out how to do it?

1. Make (fx circular) selection
  2. Select -> Edit selection as layer
  3. Select the move tool
  4. Resize 🙂
  5. Disable Select -> Edit selection as layer to finalize selection scaling

Usability score:

image.png.993dea4c439f50e52ee048d803816207.png

10 hours ago, Jowday said:

Too tired to read this thread from a to z, but @Chris26 you did find out how to do it?

1. Make (fx circular) selection
  2. Selection -> Edit selection as layer
  3. Select move tool
  4. Disable Selecting -> Edit selection as layer to finalize selection scaling

H there Jowday, yep all done and dusted.  Had to push the quick mask icon and not the refine mask.  And then had to rasterise a rasterised image in order to select in the first place.  But thanks.  though out of curiosity what do you mean by:  "Fx circular"  ?  I know what Fx is in the programmes, but Make Fx circular selection?  Are you drinking?

10 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

H there Jowday, yep all doen and dusted.  Had to push the quick mask icon and not the refine mask.  And then had to rasterise a rasterised image in order to select in the first place.  But thanks.  though out of curiosity what do you mean by:  "Fx circular"  ?  I know what Fx is in the programmes, but Make Fx circular selection?  Are you drinking?

'Elliptical' selection then. English is not my first language. I wish it was German; perfect for swearing at software. Anyway, in Danish we shorten "for example" with 'fx'. No, I am not drinking. I am not British or Irish; we only drink when we are having fun. ;-) (Pinocchios nose would expand now)

Maybe I misunderstood what you are trying to do - this is how it works on a mosaic of rasterized rasterized raster raster pixels - seeing is believing: 

selection.thumb.gif.3921121b5692e58469d02fb982964fb7.gif

7 hours ago, Jowday said:

Maybe I misunderstood what you are trying to do

Tak Skal Du Have (wow a lot of syllables in the morning just to say Dankjewel) Jowday,   Nevermind, well, you did not misunderstand me, despite you having not read the A to Z above.  This is much quicker though I appreciate this, thankyou.  I guess if I had read the Help files from beginning to end I might have stumbled across this, as it was, no amount of keyword searching churned this up, hence the frustration to begin with.  The below information I found tells me alot but explains nothing and so one has no choice but to post.

Having searched the help under various terms that are logical and intuitive to the intellect, I could not find the answer to the above originally, eventually I came across this just now::

""""""""For images, the placed image is added as an image layer rather than a pixel layer. This allows the original image data (e.g., the native resolution, colour space and colour profile) to be kept. On export to PDF, this data is re-embedded into the PDF file"""""".

This explanation for doing things this way needs explaining, since by its very nature an image, when loaded into a photo editing programme, should by its own defintion and its integrity, retain all this information anyway.  The inverse logic of this needs not to be stated, but I will:  For images, the non-placed image is added as a non-Image layer rather than an image layer.  This allows the original image data  (e.g. the native resolution, colour space and colour profile) to go missing.  

Unless of course Affinity has a seriously rational reason for doing things this way, then I might be fully de-programmed from Adobe's years of indoctrination.  Please tell me if there is a rationale behind this, I would love to know. 

EDIT:  Now that I have had my Danish bacon and eggs and time to contemplate a further rant is in order here.  One thing I learned through technical authorship was to avoid nominalisations, use brevity and descriptive terminology, and keep definitins standardised, not to re-define.  Instead of using the words: ""IMAGE LAYER" Affinity should use the term: ""NON-PIXEL LAYER", this then would have immediately alerted the obvious to me, and I would never have had to post on the forum in the first place.  Don't re-define the word IMAGE, as this has an 50 year old standard across the board definition that precludes any concept of NOT having pixels within a photographic environment.  Rant Over, back to business..

25 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Instead of comparing/complaining things, just learn to use the tools.

Hi Haakoo, firstly I appreciate the help you have given.  especially when you answered way above with that instruction:  Ratserise the layer.  That is what clinched it.

However I would like to say that I know and have used all of the above methods to select objects except for the very last two advanced options as you call them.  I come from Photoshop so all the concepts are easily understood.  I know about pre-planning etc and knowing how to adapt.  The problem came, and has been more than mentioned by me unfortunately, the problem came by the fact that I loaded an image and I had no idea that it could not be edited, that it was embeddd so to speak.  I have spent many hours watching and practising with tons of videos, and most problems I sort out.  But this particular singular issue Threw me off guard completely.  

I was not complaining about affinity,  I was having a moan, we all do it, everyone, sometimes we are patient and work through a problem, sometimes we let it out. this by the way is also a part of learning as you mildly put it,  I simply expressed it in writing.

10 hours ago, Jowday said:

Anyway, in Danish we shorten "for example" with 'fx'.

In English we only use ‘fx’ as an abbreviation for ‘effects’. Instead of using obvious abbreviations like ‘f.e.’ or ‘f.i.’ (‘for example’ or ‘for instance’, respectively) we resort to Latin and use ‘e.g.’ (short for ‘exempli gratia’).

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, haakoo said:

Snap ik, nam jou probleem als voorbeeld om er op te wijzen dat er meer is dan alleen photoshop en dat men meer kan als men het maar wil zien.

Ik ben het met je eens, en ik besef dat.  Maar, heb je ooit of nooit jeself geklaagd af en toe over iets, B.V misschien IKEA meubelen 😊?  Ik vergelijk niks met photoshop, en ik ben meer dan tevreden met Affinity apps.  Mijn oorspronkelijk vraag bij onze Danish Vriend is toch een goede vraag nee?  Waarom heeft affinity dit "Embedded Image"  Als ik at kan begrijpen dan zal dat een enorm hulp zijn. En dan mischien zal ik zeker MEER zien als jij zegt. (En Nederlands is niet mijn moeder taal, dus vergeef me mijn fouten AUB. - Bedankt)