You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Basic question regarding opening images to print

Hi,

I shoot with an Sony A7iii and edit in Affinity, if I want to print an image on A3 for example is it best to open a new document at A3 size and then paste my image onto that and then do my editing or just open the image in Affinity and use the crop tool to A3 dimensions 😕 or am I overthinking it 🤔

43 minutes ago, SAW said:

Hi,

I shoot with an Sony A7iii and edit in Affinity, if I want to print an image on A3 for example is it best to open a new document at A3 size and then paste my image onto that and then do my editing or just open the image in Affinity and use the crop tool to A3 dimensions 😕 or am I overthinking it 🤔

My approach is this:  Simply open the image file in A.Photo as is.  Then immediatey check, via CTRL+ALT+I (the keyboard letter that is), the number of pixels and its resolution.  This will determne whether or not you can increase the resolution and UNCHECK the 'Resample' to get the correct size, or whether you have to enlarge via RESAMPLE, upwards.  Unless you tell me the dimensions then I can not be more specific. But I would always re-size first always, then do your editing, this is always the best practise.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

8 minutes ago, SAW said:

This is what I would normally use the camera in,

6000 x 4000 (24.0 MP, 3:2)

So in a nutshell you need around 5000 x 3500 at 300 ppi for an A3 this is good.  So no need to resample at all.  I would then just set up a new document at A3 size, give it 300 PPi and then PLACE the image, then drag from top left corner across the document width.  Because your image should be slightly larger than the document due to your measurements.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

24 minutes ago, SAW said:
6000 x 4000 (24.0 MP, 3:2)

rats, I missed something, what is the resolution showing when you look at the dialogue box, is it 240 ppi??  

6 minutes ago, SAW said:

Where will I find this info 😢 

When you OPEN your image and then press ctrl + Alt +I you will see the dimensions.  But you should also find this in camera. 

If you have 6000 px on the longest side and have 240ppi, all you need to do is to uncheck RESAMPLE, and change the ppi to 360, at this range you will get dimensions of 42cm x 28 cm - this is an A3 size image, very close that is, a slight tweak probably needed.  Before you do this, select in that dialogue box Centimetres, and then watch the dimensions come down to size A3 as you type in 360 PPI.

When I open the image it opens in the Develop Persona it says 6024 x 4024, 24.2MP, RGBA/32 (HDR) - RAW then when I click on Develop it opens it in the Photo Persona and says 6024 x 4024, 24.24MP, RGBA/16 - sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Pressing ctrl, alt & i it says 6024 x 4024, Units - Pixels, DPI 350, Resample Bicubic with a tick in the resample box. Resample and type means nothing me 😬

18 minutes ago, SAW said:

When I open the image it opens in the Develop Persona it says 6024 x 4024, 24.2MP, RGBA/32 (HDR) - RAW then when I click on Develop it opens it in the Photo Persona and says 6024 x 4024, 24.24MP, RGBA/16 - sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Pressing ctrl, alt & i it says 6024 x 4024, Units - Pixels, DPI 350, Resample Bicubic with a tick in the resample box. Resample and type means nothing me 😬

I think at this point you might find it helpful to click on A.Photo's Help menu.  Type in the search: Resample.  Then you will see a category called "Image size"  This will help you to understnd a bit more about the resample dialogue.  The best thing to do now, to help you visualize what is happenig is to go also to that dialogue where you see the dimensions and resolution and just switch the measurements to centimetres and type in the PPI and watch what happens to your dimensions.  Aim for the A3 size that I gave you.  Here is a little demonstration.