You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to create a border around an object and clear everything that's below it?

I was wondering if it's possible to create a selection around an object and clear everything that's under it. I've included a screenshot to illustrate what I mean.

It's easy to do on solid backgrounds because I can just adjust the color of the stroke, but what if I'm using a gradient background, or an image? I've tried expanding the stroke and using the "subtract" boolean operator, but it doesn't seem to be working that well.

Any Affinity designer geniuses out there who could help me?

This is the effect I'm trying to achieve.

1244354412_ScreenShot2020-12-14at8_38_48PM.thumb.png.777b7e8a4d54a4b0ad7fc24e38a612f0.png

10 minutes ago, emmmi said:

Any Affinity designer geniuses out there who could help me?

If I understand you correctly, probably not but I'll give it my best, and I am not a genius at all, does the following video help.  Just make sure that the part you do not want erased is ABOVE the erase part blend mode layer, if that makes sense.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

35 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

If I understand you correctly, probably not but I'll give it my best, and I am not a genius at all, does the following video help.  Just make sure that the part you do not want erased is ABOVE the erase part blend mode layer, f that makes sense.

Thank you! That partly solved my problem!

1808697130_ScreenShot2020-12-14at9_37_52PM.png.527ed7d81690b26f4be7f10fba1707da.png

Now I need to do something with this "hook" ugh... I created it through masking, but the "erase" blending option doesn't seem to be working with masked objects...

we.afdesign

37 minutes ago, emmmi said:

Now I need to do something with this "hook" ugh.

this is Bl***y annoying because I have seen this exact same issue somewhere else in another post on this forum that had to do with someone wanting to make sure the text did not spoil a part of a road on a map and she needed the space like you do.  But the search in this forum is rather difficult and not conducive to generalised terminology so I can not find it anywhere, sorry.   emmmi all I can remember is that it had something to do with making an outline around the text in question, but this is vague, I tried it on your file and removed the mask but yep, I bet there are people here who could do this in a flash.......

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

13 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Here's an alternative solution that can be exported as vectors:

Ah now I remember, expanded the stroke and then subtract, that is what she had on that map.  Thankyou Anon.

25 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Erase blend mode results in rasterisation. Here's an alternative solution that can be exported as vectors: we vector.afdesign

I have used non-destructive Boolean Compound objects so you can see how the document was constructed.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️