You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixelart brushes

Bitmap brushes i made a while back for pixelart are buggy: some don't paint, some are wrong.

It looks like if pixel brush had odd size it would work incorrectly.

You can see 1px don't even register and 21x21 brush that is diamond-shaped checkerboard paints a blob instead of checkerboard.

Brushes file attached. Using pixel tool, obviously.

Pixel art.afbrushes

306701565_2020-12-1416-58-59.2020-12-1417_01_25.gif.026854d250b1ffaf8f2ed9be42a7c1a2.gif

1 hour ago, antonkudin said:

Also, am I dumb or is there no way to make brushes that are not just color stamps now? I make Image brush or brush from selection and both are not affected by tool color.

Have you tried creating an Intensity Brush, rather than an Image Brush?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, antonkudin said:

is there no way to make brushes that are not just color stamps now? I make Image brush or brush from selection and both are not affected by tool color.

Brush From Selection command creates an Image Brush with no option of creating an Intensity Brush. However @James Ritson revealed that if the Image Brush is made from a selected region of a Mask object instead of Pixel object then the Image Brush will behave as if it is an Intensity Brush, and so you can:

1. make the required pixel selection
  2. do Rasterise To Mask
  3. do Brush From Selection
  4. undo the Rasterise To Mask

Or:

1. do Rasterise To Mask
  2. cmd-click the Mask's thumbnail to make a pixel selection
  3. do Brush From Selection
  4. undo the Rasterise To Mask

A sadly typical Affinity rigmarole where things could be so much more straightforward.

39 minutes ago, evtonic3 said:

What's the difference?

An Image Brush keeps its own colours but an Intensity Brush uses the greyscale values of the image as an opacity map, with whatever base colour you choose to apply.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.