You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export TIF and JPG file extension (discussion split from 1.9.0.869 announcement)

I noticed it now (hadn't read the thread). You can set it only in the save dialog, but you have to enter it manually.
This does not make a professional impression and reminds me a bit of GIMP.

I agree with the suggestion to put the selection in the basic settings of the program.

On 12/10/2020 at 6:45 PM, Mark Ingram said:

so we have ".tiff;.tif" and ".jpeg;.jpg"

Most app let choose first the extension from a dropdown list, and permit to modify parameters later. You did the other way around, and it's consistent with the export persona. 

Perhaps now you can add a drop down list to choose the file extention when saving, putting by default the most usual ones (.tif & .jpg)?

I think only scanners use .TIFF today, and EPUB use .JPEG

4 hours ago, Michail said:

What list are you talking about?

image.png.ebaf7e2f4c32f611ea4ec17aff3dd113.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The absurd amount of drama dedicated to this non-issue with extensions made me think I accidentally entered some Twitter discussion on what pronouns people should use. "You miss-pronounced JPG! I am deeply offended!". 🙄
I am yet to find app that can open TIF but cant TIFF or can open JPG exclusively but will not recognize JPEG. Unless of course you are using some "unmaintained version from 2012" of something. In that case  I would rather took a closer look at the word "unmaintained". If you happen to use some outdated version of software written by one man army company in  Hüttenberg (mostly known for its cheese - world is yet to find out killer software that is written there) - more power to you. But try to imagine how little that means to the rest of the known universe. In the words of John Lenon - "...its easy if you try".

Over the years I have seen so much issues being inflated for virtually no reason in this forum that I wonder if thats Affinity forum specific or people are making these dramas everywhere. There are surely serious issues we should discuss, but this is certainly not one of them. JPG/JPEG - who cares? Every not completely broken software made after 2012 outside of Hüttenberg will open both.

On 12/12/2020 at 3:23 PM, nezumi said:

There are surely serious issues we should discuss, but this is certainly not one of them. JPG/JPEG - who cares? Every not completely broken software made after 2012 outside of Hüttenberg will open both.

Opening the file is really not the problem here, it's about saving the file with the "jpg" extension. I use a lot of graphic software, all recents, and they all can save in "jpg" by default.

But anyway, Affinity programmers already have the solution, a simple check mark in the "Preferences" module and everybody will be happy. It's gonna be in the next beta.... as per my crystal ball....

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

3 minutes ago, AlainP said:

But anyway, Affinity programmers already have the solution, a simple check mark in the "Preferences" module and everybody will be happy. It's gonna be in the next beta.... as per my crystal ball....

Please, not an nth option when the usual "Type" drop down menu in the save window would do the trick. The default should be set to the more usual and short ones.

Or without "Type" second drop down, like in Adobe, the list appears in the name field when you use the down arrow, and automatically set the extension to the one selected.

Certainly not a drop box you have to select at time of exporting, that would make it worst. But a user choice selection box in the "Preferences" module, that would be the best solution and would probably please everyone.

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

21 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

Nobody needs a checkbox in the Prefs for a feature nobody needs and nobody asked for.
Just trash that stupid idea.

They can't simply change the program to always use JPG or TIF. They could have implemented it that way originally, but now that it has been out and users have become accustomed to how it works, simply changing the way it works will upset some users.

At this point they need a preference in order to make that change, I believe. And, probably, it needs to default to the way the Affinity programs have been working for all this time.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, Fritz_H said:

Nobody needs a checkbox in the Prefs for a feature nobody needs and nobody asked for.
Just trash that stupid idea.

Oh yeah.... your idea is wonderful ! Wow, ... so much better.... how helpful it would be for everyone. Trash everything that Fritz_H doesn't like... that's the key !

-- Macbook Air 15"

5 hours ago, AlainP said:

Oh yeah.... your idea is wonderful ! Wow, ... so much better.... how helpful it would be for everyone. Trash everything that Fritz_H doesn't like... that's the key !

OK.. so tell me please: which problem does this change solve?   What exactly improves by using ".JPEG" ?

No need to argue over this, I've just switched the order in the list to be ".jpg;.jpeg". This way you can still see both file types in the save dialog (the problem with listing them as separate file types in the save dialog is that you need to change the filter to switch between viewing .jpg and viewing .jpeg files - so they must be in the same filter). 

It does mean there is a disparity between .jpg;.jpeg and .tiff;.tif, which could only be solved with a Preference option like "Prefer legacy 8.3 filename extensions". But I'm not planning on adding something like that yet.

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

They can't simply change the program to always use JPG or TIF...

Perhaps there is some misunderstanding here:
This changed application-behavior is only available in the most recent beta -> Serif can and will change features during the beta-phase (-stage);
that is what it´s used for: check and change things (if necessary) .

On 12/14/2020 at 9:28 AM, Mark Ingram said:

…It does mean there is a disparity between .jpg;.jpeg and .tiff;.tif, which could only be solved with a Preference option like "Prefer legacy 8.3 filename extensions". But I'm not planning on adding something like that yet.

The lengths Serif go to to avoid admitting they made a poor decision is astounding.

If you want to cure your OCD, do what you should have done in the first place (and what I have been complaining about for four years) and make it (*.tif;*.tiff) and (*.jpg;*.jpeg) so that it defaults to three letter extensions – like the entire imaging industry has been doing for over 25 years.  This is already the long established de facto standard for those file types.  It has also always been recommended practice to use the most commonly used extension on the left (which .tiff and .jpeg are not).

"For Save File, include all variations of the supported file extensions, even if uncommon, and put the most common extension first."

001.png.d7025ba463a5193d1ff114733a5d66f3.png

Serif's obsession with forcing their users to use *.tiff is absurd; I have never come across a single person in 25 years who has wanted files to be saved as *.tiff or *.jpeg.  There are zero advantages to doing this, it only creates problems and inconsistencies with what is already in place.  If you get OCD over a dialogue box, try having to deal with having both *.tif and *.tiff in the same folder and two files of the same file type being able to have the same name.

Fighting Affinity software workflow issues like this is why I decided to go back to using Photoshop, which I had previously been using since Photoshop 5 in 1998 anyway.  Earlier this year I had enough; I had an archive of over 18000 historical images I needed to go through, clean up the metadata and embed ICC profiles in.  Affinity Photo insisting on taking the *.tif originals and then spitting them out as *.tiff when batch processing them was too unworkable.  Whether Serif thinks .tiff looks prettier – or some equally nonsense reason – is moot; the software cannot do what I need it to do.  With Photoshop I do not need to fight the software or use work-a-rounds – it just works as it should.

I cannot force you to act on feedback, however when I was a frequent visitor in this forum, I used to see a lot of excellent feedback from people who were very clearly power users – then someone would reply with some sort of excuse or work-a-round.  Serif then appear to view these issues as 'problem solved'; I never saw any of that feedback from heavy users acted on.  A work-a-round is perhaps OK for hobbyists dealing with relatively small numbers of images at their leisure, but when dealing with large numbers of images at a time and working extensively with the software every day, even something seemingly minor to others makes using the software unbearable for what is already a tedious and repetitive process.  Power users know what they want to software to do; Serif can try to justify their decisions and ignore the feedback, but the issue won't go away – it just leads to resenting the software.

To be clear, I'm not looking for a reply – this is feedback only.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.