You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export TIF and JPG file extension (discussion split from 1.9.0.869 announcement)

8 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:
  • Allow variations in file extensions during export (e.g. *.tiff and *.tif). Default extension is first in the list (i.e. *.jpeg, *.tiff).

How does this work? Please.

(I always need to save TIFF formats with * .tif extension.)

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Just type "myfile.tif" in the dialog

Maybe I misunderstood the concept here. Why should I type in the whole name? Faster would be cutting off the last f. My first thought was, that we get an option for tif and jpg. 

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

Maybe I misunderstood the concept here. Why should I type in the whole name? Faster would be cutting off the last f. My first thought was, that we get an option for tif and jpg. 

That would work, too. And that has always been possible on Windows with the Affinity applications, but not (I think) on Mac.

The bigger aspect of the change is that when you're Exporting to the TIFF format, the File Explorer dialog will show both .tiff/.tif files in its directory listing. Previously it showed only .tiff files. (Similarly, for exporting JPEG format, previously it showed only .jpg files, but now it should show .jpg or .jpeg files.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Just type "myfile.tif" in the dialog

I was hoping that the application could save the last used format extension. Or there would be an option to change the default extensions in the settings.

But also displaying tiff and tif together is a super improvement.

11 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

".tiff" is the default extension, so if you don't type the extension, it will use that. If you want to override that, you can type ".tif" at the end (same with ".jpeg" and ".jpg"). The other improvement here is that the save / export dialog will show files with both extensions.

2 hours ago, J.T said:

I was hoping that the application could save the last used format extension. Or there would be an option to change the default extensions in the settings.

But also displaying tiff and tif together is a super improvement.

May I ask, what other software are you using that requires you to use a legacy 8.3 filename format?

Default extension is first in the list (i.e. *.jpeg, *.tiff).

Why is *.jpeg extension by default on export? I use *.jpg extension for images on everywhere, and from now is very uncomfortable for me. Need change on every export of this extension :/  I'm sad! :(

• Staff
3 minutes ago, mykee said:

I use *.jpg extension for images on everywhere,

by habit or because you use applications that do not support .jpeg? 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

5 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

by habit or because you use applications that do not support .jpeg? 

I use *.jpg from 25 years (from DOS and Win 3.1)... Just this, no else. Same format with two extension type. I use shorter version always.

29 minutes ago, mykee said:

Why is *.jpeg extension by default on export? I use *.jpg extension for images on everywhere, and from now is very uncomfortable for me. Need change on every export of this extension :/  I'm sad! :(

Me too

@Patrick Connor

Every image I download from Google is *.jpg, likewise with other websites, likewise with the stock Panel in the Affinity apps, likewise with just about everywhere !!!!!

Every graphics programs/convertors I use (several) defaults to *.jpg

What is the rationale (Affinity's) for changing to *.jpeg as the default? 

I'm worried that someone somewhere with an older application/browser won't be able to read my *.jpeg files if I accidentally forget to change the now (default) extension of *.jpeg

Also, I really don't want to have to now deal with 2 different file extensions for the same type of file

Please (at the very least) give us the option of what default extension to use for jpg files, or just default it back to *.jpg

*.jpg Rocks

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Non-8.3 filenames have been supported since Windows 95, so this shouldn't be a breaking change...

But what is the rationale for changing something so globally entrenched such as the current recognised norm for the naming of *.jpg files?

Seriously, if there is a technical or future reason needed for this change it would be nice to know, what it is

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

14 minutes ago, carl123 said:

But what is the rationale for changing something so globally entrenched such as the current recognised norm for the naming of *.jpg files?

Seriously, if there is a technical or future reason needed for this change it would be nice to know, what it is

The original file extension was ".jpeg", but as DOS and Windows 1.x - 3.x didn't support more than 3 characters in a file extension, applications on those platforms had to shorten it to ".jpg". 

You can still use ".jpg", you just have to type the full name, including extension, e.g. "image.jpg".

I know the original was *.jpeg but the shear fact that virtually everyone has since adopted *.jpg as their standard even long after non-8.3 filenames have been supported surely means that *.jpg is now the most common and recognised extension for JPG files and thus preferable to *.jpeg extensions.

I don't understand Affinity's, somewhat unilateral decision in this industry, to effectively go back to an extension that has long been superseded by one which has already established itself as the norm

If you guys (and girls?) are going to introduce some sort of secret killer function that needs a *.jpeg extension then fair-enough but otherwise it just leaves me wondering....

...Why?

23 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

You can still use ".jpg", you just have to type the full name, including extension, e.g. "image.jpg".

Yes, noted already but it's extra work and misteaks happen.

".jpg" is used in the regular release version, and most software (on Windows) use ".jpg". The vast majority of files everywhere and in the photography world have the .jpg extension. Why then switch to ".jpeg"?

I have over two hundred gigs of photography files and they all have the .jpg extension. The RAW editing software I use, as the ones before, uses .jpg when file is exported. 

Even if file extension is not limited to three chararters anymore.... why should I have to edit the filename for each and every file I export in the "jpg" format? It looks like a "Mac" contamination for Windows users. 

I love Affinity apps, but I hate this new "jpeg" arrival. Why couldn't we have a choice in the Preferences module?

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Yes, noted already but it's extra work and misteaks happen.

I love your "misteaks" !

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I'll be honest, this isn't some massive discussion and then new direction we've decided to go on. It's actually a little oversight in bringing the multiple file extensions support in (the irony here was that users were complaining that we defaulted to ".tiff" but they wanted the option to name their files ".tif"). The new change means that we have a list of allowed extensions and the default extension is the first in the list, so we have ".tiff;.tif" and ".jpeg;.jpg", when previously we only had ".tiff" and ".jpg". So in order to bring some consistency with TIFF I put the "correct" JPEG extension first. At the risk of upsetting my OCD I may consider switching the order of ".jpeg" and ".jpg" around, or providing a preference to always default to 3 letter extensions.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:45 PM, Mark Ingram said:

At the risk of upsetting my OCD I may consider switching the order of ".jpeg" and ".jpg" around, or providing a preference to always default to 3 letter extensions.

We appreciate you taking the time to have another look at this

20 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

..., or providing a preference to always default to 3 letter extensions.

I think that would make everyone happy !

-- Macbook Air 15"

9 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

May I ask, what other software are you using that requires you to use a legacy 8.3 filename format?

ReliefDesigner. I use an un maintained version from 2012.

Unfortunately, some software (on Windows) first tests the ext. and then the content.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

I'll be honest, this isn't some massive discussion and then new direction we've decided to go on. It's actually a little oversight in bringing the multiple file extensions support in (the irony here was that users were complaining that we defaulted to ".tiff" but they wanted the option to name their files ".tif"). The new change means that we have a list of allowed extensions and the default extension is the first in the list, so we have ".tiff;.tif" and ".jpeg;.jpg", when previously we only had ".tiff" and ".jpg". So in order to bring some consistency with TIFF I put the "correct" JPEG extension first. At the risk of upsetting my OCD I may consider switching the order of ".jpeg" and ".jpg" around, or providing a preference to always default to 3 letter extensions.

It would not be the easiest solution to give the user the option to choose the default extension in the "export settings" dialog?

Developers would then have a good night's sleep and satisfied users.

Hi!

This latest beta does not open my tiff anmore. It crashes just after starting to load one file.The sames tiff works great with the latst public (1.8) version.

I can provide some tiff in PM to developpers.

Regards

--
Nicolas DET
Fotografie
Les gens sont la clef

Event, Porträt, People, Hochzeit, ... Live
http://www.nicolas-det.eu

https://www.instagram.com/nicolas_det_fotografie/

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.