You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image rotation: is Affinity Photo working as intended?

Working with Affinity Photo version 1.3.5 to straighten a horizon, for some reason the results aren't good. I can't recall if the previous version was ok for this. I've attached a couple of sample images. This is happening with different images (e.g. the 'Mermaid' sample image) and on different machines and with different degrees of rotation.

Mark

post-18057-0-00604500-1441727395_thumb.jpg

post-18057-0-41313700-1441727410_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hi Mark, 

Welcome to the Forums :)

The tool will straighten the picture to match whatever line you draw. The tool is working fine for me on your images. Which part of the image is it that you are trying to get straight? I have managed to get the boat to look straight however it won't be possible to get the blue rope also straight without directly editing the picture.

C

post-12469-0-65335600-1441730282_thumb.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thanks!

No problem in straightening it, but looking at the blocky stuff in the resulting rotated image. Ok, rotation's going to lead to interpolation of pixels, but AP seems to be dealing with this in blocks - particularly noticeable in the line and on the black line on the side of the ship, but generally chewing the image throughout

Mark

Funny: I wanted to add another example (see attachment). When I first wanted to straight that picture I gave up and used the mesh warp tool instead (result http://www.panoramio.com/photo/121475550).

But now I realized: the broken lines are only visible _in_ AP; once I export the file the lines are smooth again.

Maybe this also happened in post 1? As I can't really see "blocky stuff" in the second picture - or a mermaid, for that matter ;)

post-5549-0-52153200-1441752152_thumb.jpg

Thanks for pinning that down. So ... exported files are fine and my attached samples do not show the problem. Yours does though and viewed in AP, it's persistent - save the project and reopen it and in APs viewer, the blockiness persists, here's a screenshot rather than the exported file. (Still no mermaid, sorry).

Having filed a bug on it, it's because in the preferences, I had view quality set to 'Nearest Neighbour (fastest)' rather than 'Bilinear (best quality)'. AP's plenty quick enough with the latter even though it's running on a 2009-era mac here.

post-18057-0-32709100-1441786235_thumb.png

> Yours does though

Yes: it's a screenshot of the picture _in_ AP after rotating it.

> it's because in the preferences, I had view quality set to 'Nearest Neighbour (fastest)' rather than 'Bilinear (best
> quality)'.

Oh!!! Thank you for getting that cleared up!  

What did you set for Dither gradients and Use precise clipping: check or leave unchecked?

• Staff

Hi manuschwendener.ch

- Dither gradients will slow down the system a little but will improve gradients rendering/look reducing banding. I always have it checked.

- Precise clipping - usually doesn't affect much the quality of what you see on screen (except in very specific cases), and can slow down the system considerably in certain circumstances. Better to leave this one off.

MattP gave a great explanation of all performance settings here. Take a look for more info.

• 1 month later...