You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Digital Asset Management (DAM) Suggestions

Hi,

I know this has been answered in the FAQs regarding an Affinity branded DAM software.

I am transitioning from Lightroom/Photoshop to Affinity and want to find a DAM or Image organizer that is not Lightroom or Adobe. Can anyone suggest a program that will give me the functionality of thumbnails, and tags, and the ability to sort for them, ala Lightroom. I probably have 10,000 photos in my Lightroom databases.

Thanks so much for any suggestions, to point me in the right direction.

RickR

I had exactly this problem (except being more of a n00b I wanted to transition from Photoshop Elements organiser). I tried trial versions of all sorts of things, and nothing fit and then stumbled on Digikam which is open source and free. And brilliant. I had written all my tags into my photos in Organiser, which were all picked up in Digikam. A few hours of work, and 14,000 photos are better organised and sorted than they've ever been.

It's not always the most intuitive software. Stuff like tags and albums I worked out easily enough but forcing it to work in depth like I wanted it to sent me to the online manual now and then. If Affinity is your default editor, one click on a photo sends it directly for editing. It also has a built in editor, though I've ignored that. But there's still so much in Digikam that I haven't explored - like a lot of open source, it has every option plus the kitchen sink included. But it was quick and easy to replace what Elements Organiser did for me - and there's very little online help for that. An awful lot more advice is to be found for Lightroom refugees.

And it's still being actively developed. I've become a complete fan and finally shuffled off the last shackles of Adobe.

The possible fly in the ointment is what your system is. There are Linux versions and Windows versions only.

• 1 year later...

I’ve been kinda using Pics.io for a while now. It’s a nice DAM if you want to get started with the software. Not many bells and whistles but the core functionality are strong and easy to use. Plus, it’s quite cheap + has a free trial for you to try out if you’re not sure if it’s exactly what you’re looking for.

Edited by Katrin24

I’ve been kinda using pics.io for a while now. It’s a nice DAM if you want to get started with the software. Not many bells and whistles but the core functionality are strong and easy to use. Plus, it’s quite cheap + has a free trial for you to try out if you’re not sure if it’s exactly what you’re looking for.

Edited by Katrin24