You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

16 minutes ago, SAW said:

Hi,

How do I add a drop shadow border to my final image ? I know how to add a border using the fx adjustment panel but can't see anything on adding a drop shadow style, think that's what they are called.

Thanks.

Hi there, you will find it under "OUTER SHADOW" in the Fx panel.  But perhaps you also mean to have a border and have a shadow to that border, in that case I would insert a filled colour rectangle behind your image so that just a little of the edge shows, then apply the outer shadow, this is the old school method.....😀

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Resize Canvas (add few pixel to all sides) center aligned, insert Fill layer (white) bottom, FX Outer shadow (light direction 45°).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 4 months later...

I have made some drawings on this menu. some of them are filled in opaque,(fig4) and when i created a drop shadow in Affinity Designer I saved styles from them.

But when I apply these styles to the drawings that are 50% opacity the shadow is not just at the bottom but all through the picture, making them muddy and dark.

Is there a way to only get them at the bottom, under the image of a transparent image?

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 3.20.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 3.21.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 3.21.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 3.25.56 PM.png

I forgot to mention, drawing 2 is the image with no fx, drawing 2 is with one saved style and 3 is with the other saved style. I know it is faint but hopefully you can see what I mean.

2 hours ago, Bynah said:

But when I apply these styles to the drawings that are 50% opacity the shadow is not just at the bottom but all through the picture

As in the real life: Something that is partially transparent will somewhat drop a shadow, but because it is partially transparent, you will also see it through.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Here's one solution based on the structure of your document. Instead of putting the shadow effect on the semi-transparent blue splash/cloud, put the shadow effect on an underlying layer where the splash/cloud has been filled with any fully opaque colour and the Fill Opacity is 0% at the bottom of the Layer Effects window.

shadow solution.afdesign

1155970702_Screenshot2021-05-13at22_45_30.thumb.png.9728c1e92aa24a29c4aba574f68facc1.png

@Bynah, you can observe the actual effect of transparency if you set the Fill Opacity in the Layer Effects window to 0%.
So what you'd need to do is making the "cloud" group layer opaque e.g. by copying the background structure and crop it with cloud layer. Or something like that.

(edit: @anon2 beat me to it…)

Edited by loukash

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Technical issues aside:
From a design point of view, those shadows don't make sense. They look unnatural; a gimmick.
As in: If you'd made a drawing on paper, there would be no snippet "levitating" above either…

@Bynah, your artwork looks much better without all those shadows! :)

(Heck, been there, done that as well, like 20 years ago when all those effects started to appear in the pro design apps. Eventually it wears off…)

Thank you so much. That is really helpful and so is the critique. The reason I wanted to put them is to make the objects stand out better as this menu is to be seen through a window from the sidewalk 14' away! So I just made a new layer and on that layer I put all my drop shadows that I wanted, the way I wanted them, by hand! Much quicker, easier, and organic.

thanks again, everything you said is helpful

Plymouth Outside Menu 5-11-21.afphoto

12 hours ago, Bynah said:

I put all my drop shadows that I wanted, the way I wanted them, by hand! Much quicker, easier, and organic.

Fantastic! That looks great! :)

6 hours ago, anon2 said:

The software generated shadow effect was incongruous with the hand-drawn design, but the hand-drawn shadows in the most recently attached file look great to me.

That's what I meant, thanks. English being only my 3rd language, I may not have put it that well in my earlier comment, I guess…