You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Photo] Color Picker in Isolated Layer View?

Hi there!

If you Alt-LMB on a layer you get into an isolated layer display which is very helpful in many occasions. While in this view, the color picker tool ("I" or just ALT-LMB on the pane) still selects the top-most color, which you cannot currently see however. Even the preview on the color picker shows the expected result but the resulting color is different.

You can see in the following picture, I'm trying to select a gray tone, while the color values and border shows the purple color that will be selected eventually.

Capture.PNG.42ff90897dfa66ceb973a47c19c00055.PNG

It's easy to reproduce but I attached a little test setup.

I don't know if this can be considered a bug or expected behavior, but it would only be intuitive and also very powerful if you could pick the color you actually see. Would be magic if you have a seperate layer to do some shading and you want to make a nice blend there, but I'm not able to pick the color in between.

Thanks and cheers!

sample.afphoto

The color pickers (the color picker tool and the one at the color wheel) have two modes/states (global and current layer). - If you set it's mode to "current layer" it should also fetch the right color on an isolated layer (Alt-LMB) then.

cpicker.jpg.59862046e30b4ef047170a3273c5a70e.jpg

Source—determines from where the tool can pick colors—Current Layer restricts picking to the currently selected layer; Global picks from all layers.

See also the online help here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Sorry to hijack your post but I have a small closely related color-picker question.

Do settings you change in the color picker also work when you holt alt+LMB in brush mode? Like the radius for example.
I tried experimenting with it but it's hard to test this..

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

24 minutes ago, Xzenor said:

Do settings you change in the color picker also work when you holt alt+LMB in brush mode? Like the radius for example.

No.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1