You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slow startup (all Affinity apps)

• Staff

I can confirm that I have installed the macOS 11.5 update - after installation the apps launched within 2-3 seconds, but then once I restarted the mac the apps took 20-30 seconds to launch, as before, so I'm assuming that there's no security check after installing the update, unlike when restarting and this is the behaviour being reported here in this thread.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
6 minutes ago, DEMinSoCAL said:

Unfortunately, 1.10 does not fix the slow launch

My apologies but this is to be expected, as the issue has not been marked as fixed internally & we'd certainly update this thread if we had more information.

7 minutes ago, DEMinSoCAL said:

I guess this will never be fixed.

As mentioned previously a number of times in this thread, this requires 'fixes' from potentially multiple sources, including both Apple and Affinity and therefore we do not currently expect any Affinity update only to change the current behaviour, without an update to macOS which specifically addresses this also.

This means the timescale for resolving this isn't controlled by Affinity, though we do understand how frustrating this issue can be, and as above we'll continue to update our users as and when new information is available.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

On 2/24/2021 at 7:40 PM, MEB said:

Hi @Bikr,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for your feedback. We are investigating these issues. Meanwhile, duplicate the Affinity Photo.app file, delete or the original app file to something else, then rename the duplicated app file (remove "copy" from its name) and launch the app. This seems to fix the slow start/bouncing until we find out what's causing the issue.

Has anyone looked at deleting the Prefetch file related to the App in the Windows Directory and then reloading the application to create a new prefetch file? Does that make any difference in Windows 10?

Or is this problem only Mac related.

On 7/23/2021 at 8:27 AM, Old Bruce said:

But I do notice that after a machine restart Apple's Safari web browser will take the better part of 30 seconds to start up the first time and a single second for subsequent starts.

I don't have this problem with Safari on Big Sur. Strange.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 3 months later...

Just found this thread, so it's a relief to see that I'm not the only person who has this problem. For what it's worth, I tried the app copy on my Monterey Mac Mini and "Photo" does load much faster. Will try with designer / publisher next.

And let me say that these Affinity apps are excellent, and at no point did I consider switching just because of this issue (not to disincentivize the devs, though, keep working on it!). Affinity gives me freedom from Adobe, and I am very grateful.

WebP support one of these days would be nice, though.

I understood this to mean that the problem with slow startup of Affinity applications only occurs with versions purchased from the Mac AppStore.
Since the problem has existed for a long time and is unlikely to be fixed (I've given up hope by now), I think it would be a great initiative if Affinity offered their users an easy switch to the non-AppStore version.

17 minutes ago, rudluc said:

I understood this to mean that the problem with slow startup of Affinity applications only occurs with versions purchased from the Mac AppStore.
Since the problem has existed for a long time and is unlikely to be fixed (I've given up hope by now), I think it would be a great initiative if Affinity offered their users an easy switch to the non-AppStore version.

In my testing last year when all this started, it was initially thought that only the App Store version was affected, so I downloaded trial version from the Affinity web site, and installed those also.  At first, they appears to start normally, but after a few days, even the web site downloaded versions would stall at startup.  I wound up removing the web versions.

Making duplicates of the apps and using the duplicates also did not seem to keep working properly and would start stalling.  So, I haven't seen a permanent fix.

Someone above recommended some host file entries.  That did not work for me at all, unless there is more to it than editing the host file and running the app.  Mine still stalled (20+ bounces on first launch).

21 minutes ago, rudluc said:

I think it would be a great initiative if Affinity offered their users an easy switch to the non-AppStore version.

That would be excellent. 

It won't happen because Serif / Affinity have absolutely no way of knowing that I do in fact own a Mac App Store version of their Photo application. Apple will not tell them that I do own it.

While many honest people will take advantage of the offer many dishonest people will as well.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

It won't happen because Serif / Affinity have absolutely no way of knowing that I do in fact own a Mac App Store version of their Photo application. Apple will not tell them that I do own it.

They know enough to make sure the beta releases will only run on a machine that has a valid full copy running, regardless of where it comes from.

There are ways to do anything. There isn't the will to do it. Which is fair enough, it's their software.

• Staff
3 minutes ago, BofG said:

There are ways to do anything. There isn't the will to do it.

Apple and Microsoft are quite prescriptive about customer scraping, but I think we should at least try to "find a way" for version 2 (if there is one). It would save customer services a lot of hassle. Anyway, that's just a personal wish. For now it is what it is, sorry

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

To anyone who's experiencing slow startup of Affinity apps, you may try this simple trick.

Open Terminal app and run any of the following commands:

xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Affinity\ Designer.app
xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Affinity\ Photo.app
xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Affinity\ Publisher.app

This will remove quarantine flags from the bundles so they will just launch without those security checks that may take some time before app starts to load.

1 hour ago, Alex M said:

To anyone who's experiencing slow startup of Affinity apps, you may try this simple trick.

Open Terminal app and run any of the following commands:

xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Affinity\ Designer.app
xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Affinity\ Photo.app
xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Affinity\ Publisher.app

This will remove quarantine flags from the bundles so they will just launch without those security checks that may take some time before app starts to load.

Doesn't work.  Also, needs to have "sudo" before each command otherwise you get permission denied.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, benwiggy said:

Is anyone NOT seeing this bug on Mac? That would be useful data. 

The slow startup is due to the two (or is it three, I cannot recall) most recent OSes from Apple. Apparently startup times for earlier OSes show no significant differences.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

The slow startup is due to the two (or is it three, I cannot recall) most recent OSes from Apple. Apparently startup times for earlier OSes show no significant differences.

For me running Catalina (v.10.15.7) on my iMac, cold start times might be slightly slower now than with previous versions, but not enough to be problematic.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 12/23/2021 at 3:51 PM, Old Bruce said:

??? Surely if it's due to the last few OS versions, then startup times for earlier OSes than those would be faster. (And indeed, I remember they were.)

Bu I don't have this problem with any other apps, and if it's not a universal experience, then that should suggest it can be fixed.

I get 21 bounces on my M1 MacBook Pro before the about screen shows on a fresh launch and 14 bounces thereafter.

EDIT:  Running Big Sur 11.6.1 and the apps were purchased from Serif directly.  I did try copying the app, to no avail.

Edited by jimfbk55

1 hour ago, jimfbk55 said:

I get 21 bounces on my M1 MacBook Pro before the about screen shows on a fresh launch and 14 bounces thereafter.

Did you try the "copy App" trick?  Make copies of each Affinity app and put those down in your Dock and launch.  For me, it's worked much better with just a few bounces on initial launch (after a fresh boot or restart) and almost immediate if quit and relaunched.

Do you mean if you quit the app and immediately launch it,, it still bounces 14 times?  That's not right, even for Affinity.