You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Macro: copy / paste current clipboard data

Hello, 
I just wanted to re-launch this feature request:
It seems illogical to store the clipboard data of the original recording steps in a macro and then reuse it for future playbacks. 
The action to edit>CUT in a macro is not even CUT anymore… it's just the removal of the current selection, because when pasted, the original data (stored in the macro) is inserted. 
Also: being able to copy parts of an image and paste it into the same document is fundamental for many workflows. 

Unfortunately this is the way that the current implementation of macros works. Each step is hard-coded into the macro, including dimensions and images copied via Control-C. Try using Edit > Copy and Edit > Paste.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 7 months later...
On 12/14/2020 at 12:43 PM, John Rostron said:

Each step is hard-coded into the macro, including dimensions and images copied via Control-C. Try using Edit > Copy and Edit > Paste.

Should exclude the images. Copy should be hard-coded into the macro. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nice request! There is a workaround for SOME cases - spare channels actions are recorded properly. So you can record "Spare channel creation" on one layer and "Load spare channel into ..." on another. This gives kind of inplace copy-paste, properly recorded in macro. Mostly useful for masks

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
17 minutes ago, EdTech said:

Argh. A year later and an upgrade to Affinity 2 and I still can't Copy/Paste each new file in a Macro. Come on guys. Gotta have this. A Batch file should be able to copy the current file, not the original file that was used to record the macro.

What specifically are you trying to do?

Sometimes there are workarounds when using macros

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

We process still photos for video slideshows, where we resize and crop photos, creating a blurred background of the same photo to fill in the "sides" of the photo when it's not a pure HD aspect ratio.

So we:

• Resize to the correct height
  • Copy this version of the photo.
  • Resize, crop and blur it to make a correctly-sized, HD background,
  • Then paste the original (copied in the previous step) on top.

I'd love to hear a creative solution if you have one. Thanks!

I have totally run out of time for today and tomorrow

But try something like this...

• Resize to the correct height
  • Duplicate this version of the photo.  (Layer > Duplicate)
  • Resize, crop and blur it to make a correctly-sized, HD background,
  • Then move the original (duplicated in the previous step) on top.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hmmm . . . I almost had a different way figured out, using `transform` instead of `resize`. But when it stores my initial `resize`, it's hard-coding the width change, rather than just the vertical height resize. So it only works on images that are exactly the same aspect ratio.

Any way to record a "resize" event when feeding it just the vertical dimension? So that it just maintains the aspect ratio?

6 hours ago, EdTech said:

Any way to record a "resize" event when feeding it just the vertical dimension? So that it just maintains the aspect ratio?

You might be able to with Filters > Distort > Equations.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Using equations in the Transform panel ALMOST works, but for some reason you can't input the equation w*(1920/w) into the Transform panel. Specifically, it can't process 1920/w. Or any integer divided by w. It will accept w/2 or 2*w, but not 2/w.

SO much time and effort to try to reproduce something that's so enormously simple in Photoshop. I must really want to replace photoshop, haha.image.png.8119a0b1e94f97f60754f2ae958faae9.png

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same issue with using copy and paste. It was pasting the image from when the macro was created, not what is currently in the copy buffer. That seems like a definite bug.

THERE IS A SOULTION - Simply use the (Layer > Duplicate) function instead, (suggested by Carl123 above).

Note for the forum admin. Having to check "I'm not a robot" 3x while typing this is not helpful :)

On 12/17/2022 at 5:29 PM, EdTech said:

Using equations in the Transform panel ALMOST works, but for some reason you can't input the equation w*(1920/w) into the Transform panel. Specifically, it can't process 1920/w. Or any integer divided by w. It will accept w/2 or 2*w, but not 2/w.

What is the difference between w*(1920/w) and 1920?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 1/15/2023 at 1:44 AM, John Rostron said:

What is the difference between w*(1920/w) and 1920?

John

Right now I'm just jumping through hoops to get Affinity Pro to try and scale an image proportionally within a macro. Right now the macro hard-codes the exact value I scale it to, so if I try to adjust an image with a different aspect ratio it breaks it. So the math there is so that i can try to tell the macro to scale it based on its width. Then the height would be h*(1920/w).

So in photoshop I would just scale the image's x value to 1920, and the y value would scale proportionately. But Affinity Pro wants to hard code EVERYTHING into the macro. Ugh.

In the end, all I need is a way to tell the macro to scale the image to 1920 "proportionately". The software currently DOES scale it proportionately when you do it individually. But the macro records a hard value for both x and y, rather than just the "x" value, and let the "y" value follow along proportionately. If that makes sense.

Hopefully someone can point out the "proportionally" checkbox or something . . . 

30 minutes ago, EdTech said:

Right now I'm just jumping through hoops to get Affinity Pro to try and scale an image proportionally within a macro.

You need to use Filters > Distort > Equations.. You'll find some macros in the Resources section for doing that. E.g., 

or 

or 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1