You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Non consecutive page numbering

Sometimes, when you create a book, the number of the page doesn't match the order of the page. Let me explain. Let's say that we want to print a book and the way to join the pages is with stapler hooks. Each sheet of paper is folded in the middle, creating four pages in the sheet. It means that the next page to read is not necessarily the next in the same paper. In this case, the page numbering changes on each sheet of paper and is not continuous but changes accordingly to the amount of sheets to be folded in the book.

It will be great if there is a way how to solve this automatically, and is highly possible that this option is there but I don't know how to use it.

If someone knows how to solve it, it will help me a lot.

What you are looking for is called imposition and there are already several threads on this forum discussing this topic.

If your work is being printed by a professional printing company they should be handling that for you; if you are printing things like this yourself, you will need to do the imposition.

Some forms of basic imposition can be done from the Print window in Publisher - on the Mac it is under the Document Layout section and looks like this (I believe the Windows print dialog will look a bit different but should offer the same options):

image.png.9a5b7fc714c530ed5c8872cd61db407d.png

For more advanced imposition you will need to look into dedicated software, depending on your specific requirements.