Affinity Publisher Customer Beta - 1.9.0.874

• Staff

Purpose: Updates and Fixes
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Windows Store: Not submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Available

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.9.0.874 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is significant update from the 1.8 version available for purchase - we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous or future versions of Affinity Publisher.

---

Fixes And Improvements

General
Fixed issues with Assets Panel
Fixed display of and snap to Column Guides
Snap to Object Geometry snapping to curve intersections was broken
Document profile PDX Export preflight tweak, falls back to CMYK profile for RGB / LAB documents
(Win) Fixes various issues with mishandling of CJK fonts in the UI

Selection Context Menu
(Win) Fixed crash when using Ctrl+Right Click on empty area
(Win) Only dig into containers when the Secondary modifier is not held down
(Win) Parent node added to top of submenu

Rendering
Fix for rotated or skewed filled rectangles not rendering correctly under OpenCL compute

Master Pages
Pinned objects from Master Pages were not showing in bleed 
Resizing a single page master could cause spreads that used it to be resized incorrectly
Guides lost from Master Page when changing from facing to single pages
(Win) Paste as Content into Master Page Picture Frames was disabled
(Win) Fixes for margins setup on a Master Page

Images and Resources
Fix for xlsx import currency parsing
Fixed issue opening heic files with extended characters in the file path
Fixes for specific PDF import failures
PDF Passthrough not automatically set if PDF drag dropped from Finder / Explorer
Fixed warnings about over-size export files
Resource Manager could scale cropped objects on Replace
Resource Manager now shows Artboard names instead of Page Numbers for placed Artboard documents
Resource Manager 'Replace' for Picture Frame content was not working correctly
(Win) Passthrough PDFs could fail to print
(Win) Inconsistency with the 'Include Bleed' option on the Export Dialog
(Win) Resource Manager now highlights group of selected resource if group is collapsed

Text
Text Frame button missing from context toolbar for Text on a Path
More consistent handling of mid-word punctuation
Text wrap settings on images could become distorted after a document save and load
Fixed issue adding tab stops to the Text Ruler
Fixed issue where grouping could change text size due to anomaly in layer setup
RTF export / copy paste was losing hyphens under certain circumstances
(Win) Fixed selection highlighting issue in Text Styles panel
(Win) Current Formatting box in the Text Styles panel was not always updating correctly

TOC
Style changes not always picked up as out of date for TOC
Bookmarks created by TOC not in the correct order when exported to PDF

Data Merge
Fixed Data Merge crash with no source selected

---

Release Notes for 1.9.0.863

Release Notes for 1.9.0.850

Release Notes for 1.9.0.843

Release Notes for 1.9.0.829

Release Notes for 1.9.0.822

Release Notes for 1.9.0.798

Release Notes for 1.9.0.796

Release Notes for 1.9.0.742

---

To be notified about all future Windows beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

19 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Auto-update: Available

What is this all about?

I am maybe wrong, but wasn't there a notice that a newer beta is available when I start an older beta?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

Please can users of this beta look at the My Account feature (top right of the main toolbar) even if you have already done so recently in another recent beta.

We have now added the ability to link your Affinity app to your Affinity account through a new app registration process. This will have the advantages of you being able to stream any content you have purchased (or received for free from the Affinity store) directly to all your apps without having to manually install them. This is of particular use to customers who have more than one of our apps, or run our apps on different devices and operating systems as all your content will automatically be available across all of them.

If you register the beta app you will initially receive a free brush kit (the luminance brush kit) for testing purposes. This might be a kit you already have, but if you don’t you will get it for free. Over the next few weeks this will be expanded to include all of the store content you may already own.

There have been lots of behind the scene improvements and more of the purchasable and (historical) free claimable content is being added. PLEASE report anything you find using "My Account" IN THAT THREAD

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

My first comment for a beta ever :) so I hope I have the correct spot. I downloaded 1.9.0.874 and noticed that my language for the dictionary/spell check sets to:  "Spelling: Unknown (en-CA)", is this a glitch or am I doing something wrong? I set to the doc to English (United States) but every time I save the doc and make a new doc it resets to Unknown (en-CA).

Anyways I thought I would mention this just in case it is a glitch.

On 12/11/2020 at 9:57 AM, Designed by B said:

My first comment for a beta ever :) so I hope I have the correct spot. I downloaded 1.9.0.874 and noticed that my language for the dictionary/spell check sets to:  "Spelling: Unknown (en-CA)", is this a glitch or am I doing something wrong? I set to the doc to English (United States) but every time I save the doc and make a new doc it resets to Unknown (en-CA).

Anyways I thought I would mention this just in case it is a glitch.

Hello Designed by B:

I've found four separate locations within Publisher that specify language, and in my case I've had to set them all to avoid the problem you've described:

1. Preferences > General > Language
  2. Preferences > Auto-Correct
  3. Text Styles tab > Edit style(s) > Character > Language
  4. with document text selected > Character tab > Language > Spelling

For non-included dictionaries, you can check out the following discussion and links:

dictionaries

The above link references a further link to a Canadian English dictionary (among others). In that location I found one for spelling, but not for hyphenation.

I've ended up using the included UK language setting in Publisher as a substitute for Canadian English, and set it in all four locations.

Edited by Kieran Jones

• Staff
3 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Question, what exactly does this mean? ^^

Hi FDK,

This means that when showing the special Selection Context Menu (Right-Clicking+Secondary Modifier), it will choose the highest item clicked on in the current selection to start from (as opposed to digging down to the lowest level as it does normally).

Its experimental, but hopefully works better this way.

Regards!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Clever People

Just wondering if there is any planned implementation of custom variables in the near future releases.

It is probably the most pressing thing holding me back at present from  using the program as a primary document source creator.

Thanks

Ken

• Staff

@Ken Russ

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

We tend to use beta threads to discuss things that are new to this build, not what is thought to be missing.

I think you would be best to post your suggestion in the Publisher Desktop suggestions forum, including examples of how you think custom variables would be useful.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.