• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Mac App Store: Not submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Available

---

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.9.0.874 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is significant update from the 1.8 version available for purchase - we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous or future versions of Affinity Publisher.

---

Improvements and Fixes

General
Fixed issues with Assets Panel
Fixed display of and snap to Column Guides
Snap to Object Geometry snapping to curve intersections was broken
Document profile PDX Export preflight tweak, falls back to CMYK profile for RGB / LAB documents
(Mac) Prevent accidental rotation of view by ignoring modifier changes during a scroll
(Mac) Fixed issue with New Template Dialog failing to show templates
(Mac) Fixed Big Sur title bar issue

Rendering
Fix for rotated or skewed filled rectangles not rendering correctly under OpenCL compute

Master Pages
Pinned objects from Master Pages were not showing in bleed 
Resizing a single page master could cause spreads that used it to be resized incorrectly
Guides lost from Master Page when changing from facing to single pages

Images and Resources
Fix for xlsx import currency parsing
Fixed issue opening heic files with extended characters in the file path
Fixes for specific PDF import failures
PDF Passthrough not automatically set if PDF drag dropped from Finder / Explorer
Fixed warnings about over-size export files
Resource Manager could scale cropped objects on Replace
Resource Manager now shows Artboard names instead of Page Numbers for placed Artboard documents
Resource Manager 'Replace' for Picture Frame content was not workign correctly
(Mac) Pasted (embedded) images incorrectly showed the document colourspace in Resource Manager

Text
Text Frame button missing from context toolbar for Text on a Path
More consistent handling of mid-word punctuation
Text wrap settings on images could become distorted after a document save and load
Fixed issue adding tab stops to the Text Ruler
Fixed issue where grouping could change text size due to anomaly in layer setup
RTF export / copy paste was losing hyphens under certain circumstances
(Mac) Paragraph Style > Bullets and Numbering > Restart numbering UI fix

TOC
Style changes not always picked up as out of date for TOC
Bookmarks created by TOC not in the correct order when exported to PDF

Data Merge
Fixed Data Merge crash with no source selected

---

Release Notes for 1.9.0.857

Release Notes for 1.9.0.850

Release Notes for 1.9.0.843

Release Notes for 1.9.0.829

Release Notes for 1.9.0.822

Release Notes for 1.9.0.801

Release Notes for 1.9.0.796

Release Notes for 1.9.0.742

---

To be notified about all future Mac beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

• Staff

Please can users of this beta look at the My Account feature (top right of the main toolbar) even if you have already done so recently in another recent beta.

We have now added the ability to link your Affinity app to your Affinity account through a new app registration process. This will have the advantages of you being able to stream any content you have purchased (or received for free from the Affinity store) directly to all your apps without having to manually install them. This is of particular use to customers who have more than one of our apps, or run our apps on different devices and operating systems as all your content will automatically be available across all of them.

If you register the beta app you will initially receive a free brush kit (the luminance brush kit) for testing purposes. This might be a kit you already have, but if you don’t you will get it for free. Over the next few weeks this will be expanded to include all of the store content you may already own.

There have been lots of behind the scene improvements and more of the purchasable and (historical) free claimable content is being added. PLEASE report anything you find using "My Account" IN THAT THREAD

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I'm running the latest 1.8.6 version on a Mac Mini. Default save location is iCloud.

However - the recent Beta versions I have tried have all renamed my Publisher folders --- and changed the default file opening program from the 1.8.6 version to the 1.9 version.

Click on an .afpub file and the 1.9 beta opens it by default.

Open a file in 1.8 and then try to save it, or save as, and it tries to save in the folders set up by 1.9.

For that reason, I've removed the beta from my mac. Hoping that the problem will be noticed and fixed.

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration

Hi HarryMcGovern, You like to live dangerously with your files when you make this kind of beta (1.x) the default program. As stated in the disclaimer of this thread, files you open and save with this beta might not be compatible with the currently released 1.(x-1) version. In the same time, while new features are beeing tested out during these beta cycles, there are no guaranties that they will be compatible with the future released 1.x version. You might end with corrupted files.

Regarding your save folder issues, it is normal behaviour for applications to save by default in the same location were you opened the file, alternatively where you last saved a file. Regular applications working with documents don't "set up" folders for their documents. You can save them wherever you want. But you should definitively save beta files separately from your real working files to avoid the risk of corrupting real working file by mistake.

Hi, first thing to note. I didn’t make the beta the default program. I know better than that. 
It made itself the default program. Very much to my surprise.

Second thing to note. I didn’t move and rename the AffinityPublisher folder. The beta did.

I understood that the beta installed and operated as a completely autonomous app.

It didn’t. 

That’s what I was reporting. That’s why I removed it.

Cheers

Robert

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration

Intrested question from me, but, is this beta version of Affinity Publisher a universal build (both Intel and Apple M1)?

I installed this new beta on my new Macbook Pro 13” with M1 CPU, and it ran great without any hickups...

Later last night I tried to install and run another app, but then it requested me to install Rosetta v2 to run this app - so, Rosetta was not installed when I ran Publisher beta earlier yesterday...

So, it must be a universal build...?

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

On 12/12/2020 at 7:06 AM, HarryMcGovern said:

I understood that the beta installed and operated as a completely autonomous app.

They absolutely do. I have no issues running both the release and the beta at the same time. They have separate support folders in the user's ~library/Application Support folder.

I don't know why the beta hijacked the file format for you, but it is very easily reset to the release version from the info panel of any afpub file.

7 hours ago, AdamW said:

Yes, that’s correct, all three apps are now being supplied as universal binaries.

Yeah, I could almost understand that!

I must say that my new Macbook Pro 13” with M1 CPU is one hell of a laptop!

I bought the one with just 8GB RAM (hard to get the 16GB in Sweden just now), but, this 8GB machine is way more better & faster than my iMac 27” late 2017 with i7/32GB RAM/2TB fusiondrive!

It’s magic what Apple has acheived here with the M1 CPU!

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

On 12/11/2020 at 10:06 PM, HarryMcGovern said:

Hi, first thing to note. I didn’t make the beta the default program. I know better than that. 
It made itself the default program. Very much to my surprise.

Second thing to note. I didn’t move and rename the AffinityPublisher folder. The beta did.

It didn’t. 

The app itself didn't do any of these things. If anything, macOS did it. I've noticed that macOS tends to use the newer version of the same app if both are installed. I don't know what you mean by "the folders set up by Publisher". The support folders of the beta are completely separate from the public release. Other than that, Publish doesn't create new folders.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw that you will be adding "Select same color" in the next update of Designer. I cannot see that feature in this list for Publisher. Will we be able to select same color across all pages of a file inside Publisher via the personas? :D 💜
Thanks

3 hours ago, Meztli said:

select same color across all pages of a file

There is currently no mechanism for maintaining a selection across multiple spreads in Publisher (switching to another spread clears the selection), so I suspect that adding this functionality would be enough of an effort to be a feature request in its own right.

The "Select Same" feature is not available in the Publisher persona, but it is available in the Designer persona when accessed through Publisher in the beta - but it only works at the level of the current spread; it works for both the left and the right pages of the spread (assuming you are in facing pages mode), but it does not work across multiple spreads.

4 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Unless you edit linked items on a masterpage

Yes, if items are on a master spread, you can edit them on the master, which would then impact multiple spreads, but if the time was taken to set these items up on a master, then global color swatches should have been used as well, which would eliminate most reasons to use the "select same" features in the first place, as well as impacting objects across spreads whether they were on a master or not.

Most people who have use cases for this functionality seem to be working with imported documents that do not have the benefit of global colors, so I am working under the assumption that the objects @Meztli is concerned about are most likely not on a master spread.

Although it is not the same functionality, in Publisher you can find/replace text by format including color, and that might well serve the purpose for the kinds of things that Publisher is needed for. For objects, Designer is the better choice, which of course is available via the persona in Publisher.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.