You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why is final output grainy

Hi,

I'm clearly not expert in photo manipulation but I'm learning and I hope you can help me with the following issue:  I've uploaded an image that I put together in Affinity photo.  original image size was 7250*2417 and I used the inpointing tool to first get rid of some snow effects in the photo, then I added some text and a logo and exported as 1000 * 333 at 90%.  I uploaded to FB as a cover photo, but the image looks grainy.  The text and logo in particular are grainy.  Exporting at same size but 100% is the same.   you can see what the text looks like here: https://d.pr/i/kyvq8Z

Would greatly appreciate your help in understanding how I can improve the quality of this image while keeping within the image size restrictions of sites like FB.

Thanks for your attention.

Hi Mangolife,

there are a lot of good guides how to achieve best quality. Your chosen size seems a bit small. Example guide (I'm in no way related to this website, just the first random link i found):

https://dustinstout.com/facebook-image-sizes/

Besides choosing the right export format, size & quality settings, check that all objects and text are pixel-aligned in affinity photo, otherwise thei can get blurry.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 12/14/2020 at 1:04 PM, Lee D said:

Have you tried resizing your document first (Document > Resize Document) before exporting. Once exported view the image at 100% (View/zoom level) on your system and see how it looks before uploading.

Thanks Lee. Resizing before exporting never occurred to me. Will try, but once I resize, does that mean the original document will then be lost?  Meaning I will then have to recreate if I want to try something else?  

On 12/19/2020 at 5:39 PM, NotMyFault said:

Hi Mangolife,

there are a lot of good guides how to achieve best quality. Your chosen size seems a bit small. Example guide (I'm in no way related to this website, just the first random link i found):

https://dustinstout.com/facebook-image-sizes/

Besides choosing the right export format, size & quality settings, check that all objects and text are pixel-aligned in affinity photo, otherwise thei can get blurry.

Thanks notmyfault. The size is FB recommended. I’ll have to research how to pixel-align all objects.